Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Arts and Humanities
Terms in this set (13)
the visible sign of the hidden reality of salvation
the hidden reality of God's plan of salvation
1. In what sense is the Church necessary for salvation? (page 127)
christ is the one path to salvation and he is present to us in the Church. Jesus established the Church as a visible organization through which he communicates his grace, truth, and salvation. Jesus himself spoke the necessity of joining the Church through Baptism in order to be saved. Salvation comes through the Church, which is his body.
2. What does it mean to say that the fullness of the Church of Christ is found in the Catholic Church? (page
the catholic church, led by the Pope and the bishop is in union with him, is the only Church with the fulness of the four marks of the church.
3. What does the "fullness" of the four marks of the Church include? (page 126)
the fullness of revelation, which is transmitted through the scriptures & tradition
-the fullness of sacraments
-the fullness of the ordained ministry
4. What is the first or primary sign of God's grace? Why? (page 128)
Primary sign is jesus christ
-Before anyone else, he makes visible god's presence in the world
-He is mystery of salvation & his saving work is made visible to us in the seven sacraments
5. How is the Church in this world the universal Sacrament of salvation? Why? (pages 128-129)
a sacrament is a visible sign of god's invisible grace. The church is a sacrament because she makes visible the invisible communion that we share with God. Through the church, we come to know God and be saved because the Church shows love for all people it is universal.
6. Can a person who has never heard of Christ or his Church still be saved? If so, in what way? (pages 129-130)
yes, if people through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but nevertheless sincerely seek God, and, as they know it in their conscience, they may still be saved. they are offered salvation in a way that is fully known to God alone. we can say, therefore, that salvation is available to those outside the church through god's grace.
7. Can the Holy Spirit be active outside the boundaries of the Catholic Church? Discuss examples. (page 130)
yes, because of God's great mercy saving grace is also available outside the visible boundaries of the Church. This grace outside the Church, however, still comes from Christ as a result of his sacrifice. thee holy spirit works through non-catolic churches and ecclesial communities to offer salvation to their numbers. if someone baptized in another Christian denomination, it is valid and they do not need to be "re-baptized' if they convert.
8. How are the social needs of human beings related to the way God offers salvation?
Each one of us is created to live in a community and to build relationships. Our social nature is a gift from God; therefore, it is one essential reason why God saves us by calling us together as one group, one family- the Church. The goal is communion with God and unity among all people.
9. According to Scripture and Tradition, how does God wish to be worshipped? (page 132)
According to the Scriptures and Tradition, God wishes to be worshiped by people joined together in communities, not just by isolated individuals.
10. In what ways is the Church's worship communal? (page 133)
we participate in the mass, or the Eucharist, we are part of a community at many different levels. we are part of the liturgical assembly, those gathered with us. we are part of the people of God throughout the world. the liturgical celebration itself is communal, rather than individual. it is the work of the whole Christ, the head in union with the body. in the sacrifice of the eucharist, the whole church offers herself in union with christ's sacrifice
11. Who all does the liturgy unite us with? (page 133)
unites us with not only Christ and the Church on Earth but also the worshippers in heaven, both angels and those humans who have attained heaven
Sets with similar terms
Unit 2 Reading Guide (articles 11-24) Theology
Christology FINAL Vocabulary
Religion Test Ch. 1-6 9/20
Chapter 1 Test - Theology Sem. 2
Other sets by this creator
Vocabulary Unit 10 Review
Theology Section 3 Part 1
Ch. 11 (The Church) content
Theology Section 1 Parts 1-4 Stevens