5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Rio de Janeiro
- Nester Kirchner
- SA Culture Notes
- Alfredo Stroessner
- a Former military dictator of Paraguay
- b myths, urban living, family, machismo, marianismo
- c The second largest city in Brazil; it is a major port city and Brazil's former capital
- d He was the first to prove that the new world really was a distinct landmass, separate from Asia. After sailing around the southern tip of South America he sailed westward acrosst he Pacific and reached the Philippine Islands, claiming them for Spain. Killed there.
- e Former president of Argentina, died Oct 27, 2010
5 Multiple choice questions
- the longest river in South America, flowing from the Andes Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean, located primarily across Brazil
- current president of Chile
- Spanish explorer who conquered the Incas in what is now Peru and founded the city of Lima (1475-1541)
- Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia
- The current President of Argentina (Cristina). Nestor died last year of heart attack, former president.
5 True/False questions
Favelas → He was the first to prove that the new world really was a distinct landmass, separate from Asia. After sailing around the southern tip of South America he sailed westward acrosst he Pacific and reached the Philippine Islands, claiming them for Spain. Killed there.
Chile Geographical Facts → Because of its long, narrow profile and position adjacent to the Pacific Ocean and Andes Mountains, Chile has a unique topography and climate. Northern Chile is home to the Atacama Desert, which has one of the lowest rainfall totals in the world.
By contrast, Santiago, is located midway along Chile's length and lies in a Mediterranean temperate valley between the coast mountains and the Andes. Santiago itself has hot, dry summers and mild, wet winters. The southern inland portion of the country is covered with forests while the coast is a maze of fjords, inlets, canals, peninsulas and islands. The climate in this area is cold and wet.
Venezuelan oil → founders of Suriname
Galapagos Islands → a group of islands in the Pacific off South America; owned by Ecuador; known for unusual animal life where Darwin found the fiches that led him to the theory of evolution
Population of Paraguay → size of California but only 6 million. 550,000 live in the Capital of Asuncion. 95% mestizo