5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Alfredo Stroessner
- Easter Island
- SA Culture Notes
- Amazon River
ANNEXED 1888 TO CHILE, has hundreds of huge stone statues made of volcanic rock
- b myths, urban living, family, machismo, marianismo
- c Former military dictator of Paraguay
- d Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia
- e the longest river in South America, flowing from the Andes Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean, located primarily across Brazil
5 Multiple choice questions
- FARC makes $300 million per year from this
president of Peru who suspended the nation's constitution to crush antigovernment guerillas and engineered his own election before fleeing the country
- current president of Chile
- The second largest city in Brazil; it is a major port city and Brazil's former capital
- Argentina is a land of immigrants. The majority of its people descend from early Spanish and Italian immigrants. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries immigrants from many parts of Europe arrived in the country. 3% of Argentina's population is native indian or meztizo, the rest of the population is white. As of July 2001, Argentina's estimated population is 37,384,816.
5 True/False questions
Carnival → A Brazilian holiday/festival that occurs four days before Lent in Rio de Janeiro.
Francisco Pizarro → Spanish explorer who conquered the Incas in what is now Peru and founded the city of Lima (1475-1541)
Cristina & Nestor Kirchner → The current President of Argentina (Cristina). Nestor died last year of heart attack, former president.
Machismo → KEY VALUE: a social ethic that honored male strength, courage, aggressiveness, assertiveness, and cunning
Alan Garcia → Plan Colombia sharply increased US support to the Colombian military and the National Police, bringing with it a wide variety of military and intelligence related hardware and training, all with the goal of assisting the Government of Colombia in their efforts to resist the depredations of narcotics terrorists.