jcs old testament ancient history - second semester exam w rimes
Terms in this set (27)
Joshua was the first of this many historical books.
How many major military campaigns does the book of Joshua cover?
Joshua covered 3 major military campaigns.
Who wrote the book of Joshua?
Jewish tradition says that the book was written by Joshua himself; some narratives may have been added later.
What is the precise date the book Joshua was written?
No precise date; however the events take place between the time of the conquest (1405 B.C.) and the death of Joshua (1390 B.C.)
Chapters 1-12 of Joshua is about which topic?
Chapters 13-24 of Joshua is about which topic?
Division of tribal territories
Joshua is the ________ book in the Bible.
Joshua's wife's name was ________
unknown (The Bible has no record of whether Joshua married.)
Joshua led Israel after the death of this person
How many kingdoms did Joshua's army defeat in the Northern Territory?
Joshua's army defeated 15 Northern Kingdoms.
How many kingdoms did Joshua's army defeat in the Southern Territory?
Joshua's army defeated 16 Southern Kingdoms.
How many of the Israelite tribes settled in the Promised Land?
10 of the Israelite tribes settled in the Promised Land.
judges is the story of Israel's this and this
disobedience and idolatry
first the judges would ______ the people and then they would rule and administer justice
Who was the author of the book of Judges?
The author is anonymous, however, Jewish tradition attributes authorization to Samuel or one of prophetic his students
Samuel was a crucial link between the judges and the period of the _______
The book of Judges covers this many years of history between the conquest of the kings
judges describe cycles of this, this, and this which isreal kept repeating
apostasy, oppression, deliverance
four part sequence that Israel repeated
1. Israel's departure from God
2. Gods chastisement in permitting military defeat and subjugation
3. israel's prayer pleading for deliverance
4. God is raising up of "judges" (judges were either subway or sometimes local military champions for that and shaking out of the the oppressors)
be able to place the following events in order
1. Saul anointed as king
2. birth of David
3. David kills Goliath
4. Saul killed / david becomes king
5. david dies / his son Solomon becomes king
6. Solomon dies / United Kingdom splits, Babylonian invasion and exile destroys Jerusalem and the temple
7. return from exile begins / temple rebuilding completed
old testament books of the Bible
Song of Solomon