Create an account
the digits in the measurement that are known with certainty plus one digit that is uncertain
#Sig. fig. = all certain numbers + one uncertain number
those between nonzero digits are ALWAYS significant
ex. 3.0689 has 5 significant figures
those at the end of the a number, are significant only if a decimal point is present in the number.
35.00 has four sig.fig.
0.05060 has four sig.fig.
86,000. has 5 sig.fig.
Trailing zeros (no decimal point)
are not significant if the number lacks a decimal point.
6,000,000 has one sig. fig.
70050 has four sig. fig.
Significant figure: multiplication and division
- is the same as the number of significant figures in the measurement that contains the fewest significant figures.
- In multiplication and division significant figures are counted.
- the answer has no more digits to the right of the decimal point than are found in the measurement with the fewest digits to the right of the decimal point.
- In addition and subtraction, decimal places are counted.
- With scientific notation...only significant figures appear in the coefficient.
Ex. 86 ---> 2 Sig. Figs. ----> 8.6 x 10¹
Ex. 86.0 --->3 sig. figs. ---->8.60 x10¹
the ratio of the mass of an object to the volume occupied by that object
density = mass/volume
the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree celsius
the quantity of heat energy, in calories, necessary to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree celsius.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together