5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Island arc
- radioactive dating
- mid-ocean ridge
- deep-ocean trench
- a A curved line of volcanic islands formed by the subduction of one piece of oceanic crust under another piece of oceanic crust.
- b The deepest parts of the ocean where old oceanic crust is subducting under another piece crust and is destroyed.
- c A radioactive elements that over time changes into lead
- d A method of determining the age of an object by measuring the amount a radioactive element it contains
- e A long chain of underwater mountains that circles the globe and produces new oceanic crust.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A crack in the earth's crust where the two sides are moving in opposite directions or in the same direction but at different speeds.
- The area between the parallel sets of mountain ranges of a mid-ocean ridge from which magma is pouring to make new oceanic crust.
- A German scientist who proposed the theroy of continental drift
- A straight line of volcanic mountains that forms over a hotspot located in the middle of a plate.
- Lava that cools underwater, taking on a distinctive shape as it hardens.
5 True/False questions
divergent boundary → A plate boundary where two plates move toward each other.
magnetic field → large sections of the lithosphere that are moved by convection currents in the mantle
sonar → A crack in the earth's crust where the two sides are moving in opposite directions or in the same direction but at different speeds.
non-volcanic mountain range → Mountain ranges formed by the collision of two pieces of continental crust that push upwards from both sides.
Theory of Plate Tectonics → Alfred Wegener's idea that the continents were joined together in a supercontinent called Pangaea and then drifted apart.