Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (76)
1) The _________ plateau is the heart of the Indian subcontinent.
2) Summer heart rises in the south, bringing up warm, moist air from the Indian Ocean and creating winds called __________.
3) What is the largest religion in India?
4) What region did Pakistan and India go to war over?
5) What country is home to Mount Everest?
6) Which country's name means "Land of the Thunder Dragon"?
23) What is the most famous Bantu tribe of Natal?
24) What is the name given to the "gash" in the earth that runs from the Middle East southward through East Africa?
Great Rift Valley
27) What is the most populous nation in Africa?
28) What country dominated the Gold Coast?
7) What is the smallest nation in Asia?
8) Which Southeast Asian country is the only one that remained free of European colonialism?
9) What is the only landlocked country in Southeast Asia?
10) Which Communist organization took over Cambodia in 1975 and proceeded to commit human rights atrocities?
11) Which country invaded Cambodia in 1978 to rid it of the Khmer Rouge?
12) Which Communist leader defeated the French in 1954?
Ho Chi Minh
13) What is the largest country of Southeast Asia?
14) Which European country controlled the Philippines for much of modern history?
15) Which Communist leader defeated the Nationalist Chinese Army and established the People's Republic of China?
16) In 1989 where did students in Beijing unsuccessfully protest for greater freedoms from the communists?
17) "The Roof of the World" is the nickname of which Chinese region?
22) What language did the Dutch colonists speak?
25) What word indentifies two or more combines clans?
26) What is the belief that all things have a spirit and that these spirits exercise great control over the world?
29) Which country was the first black republic in Africa?
48) What is the area of the Pacific called that experiences numerous and regular earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic activity?
Ring of Fire
51) Which major river cuts through the northern part of Vietnam, emptying into the Gulf of Tonkin?
54) What desert dominates southern Mongolia?
18) By what name do the Japanese refer to their country?
19) What is the name of the ancient warriors who protected the estates of Japanese feudal lords?
20) Which islands colony was founded by the British but reverted to China in 1997?
21) By what name were the original Dutch farmers in South Africa known?
30) What is the smallest country on the African continent?
31) Which city is the westernmost point in Africa?
49) What does the name Buddha mean?
50) What is the name of the major river forming the border between Laos and Thailand?
52) What are the two main rivers of China?
Huang He, Chang Jiang
53) Who succeeded Mao Zedong as China's dictator ?
57) What is the highest mountain in Japan?
56) What is the name given to the border seperating North Korea and South Korea?
Demilitarized zone (DMZ)
55) What is North Korea's official name?
Democratic People's Republic of Korea
58) What body of water separates Japan from the Korean Peninsula?
32) What is the dominant religion of Northern Africa?
33) Which country of the Sahel has a sea coast?
Mauritania (The Moors live in this region w/ access to shipping and fishing service)
34) For what commodity did traders in the Sahel gladly trade gold for?
Salt (The Mali controlled the trade of gold for salt across Sahel)
35) Which city is the capital and largest city of Libya?
38) Koalas get all their water and nourishment from ____ leaves .
36) What is the name of the largest minority of Christians who have lived in Egypt since shortly after the time of Christ?
37) What is the name of the transitional region between the Sahara and the jungles of Central Africa?
39) Australia was the first settled as a ____________ colony
40) The low area west of the Great Dividing Range is the __________________.
41) What is Australia's for ranches?
42) The earliest known settlers of Australia was the __________
43) What famous Indian leader led the protests against British power after WW1?
44) the ruined city of ____________ along the Indus river flourished from 2500 to 1700 BC.
45) The most important river in India is the _____
46) The highest mountain in the world is ______
47) The highest mountain range on the earth is _____
59) In what section of Beijing did emperors once live?
60) What are the names of the two major deserts of Africa, one in the north and one in the south?
Sahara and Kalahari
61) Which two leaders, one black and one white, negotiated an end to South Africa's policy of racial segregation?
Nelson Mandela and F. W. de Klerk
62) After whom did Livingstone name the waterfall that he discovered in Zimbabwe?
63) What two rivers form the Nile River?
Blue Nile and White Nile
64) Which competing tribes in Rwanda have warred against each other repeatedly, most recently in 1994, resulting in the loss of approximately 800,000 lives?
Hutus and Tutsis
65) What plain in Africa has more large land animals than any other place on earth?
66) Because of its shape, what is the wide Somali Peninsula on the east side of Africa called?
Horn of Africa
67) What is the greatest river in Central Africa?
68) What is the name of the world's largest desert?
69) What narrow body of water separates Morocco from Europe?
Strait of Gibraltar
70) Which famous dam was built on the Nile River in Egypt in 1970?
Aswan High Dam
71) Which man-made waterway links the Red Sea and the Mediterranean Sea?
72) What mountain range consists of a fifteen-hundred-mile chain and lies along the northwest coast of Africa?
73) Name the complex of low mountains, plateaus, and hills running parallel to Australia's east coast.
Great Dividing Range
74) Australia's highest point is this peak in the Australian Alps.
75) The ________ in the interior of Western Australia contains one of the richest iron ore reserves in the world.
76) Identify and describe three of Australia's unique exotic animals.
Koala: bear-like marsupial that gets nutrients and water from eucalyptus leaves
Kangaroo: raise their young in pouches
Emu: second largest bird in the world that can't fly
Sets with similar terms
Geography Challenge Level 1
Geography Terms 60
World Geography Chap. 2
Other sets by this creator
Physics ch 18,21 test
Brit lit Vocab 15
Britlit vocab lesson Nine
Other Quizlet sets
AP 104 Unit 1
08_WWP_Go and find some tappuccino_phrases
Jeopardy Review Italian Studies