Upgrade to remove ads
GIS Final set 2.1
Terms in this set (15)
1. The art and science of making maps describes
b. thematic design.
d. map intuition
2. A small-scale map would show
a. a larger geographic area than a large-scale map.
b. a smaller geographic area than a large-scale map.
c. the same geographic area as a large-scale map, just at a smaller resolution.
d. the same geographic area as a large-scale map, just at a larger resolution.
a) a larger geographic area than a large-scale map
3. Which of the following representative fractions would indicate the largest scale map?
4. On a very small scale map, cities would likely be shown as
c. individual lines.
d. grid cells.
5. A very-large-scale map would likely show
a. more detail than a very-small-scale map.
b. less detail than a very-small-scale map.
c. the same amount of detail as a very-small-scale map, just at a smaller resolution.
d. the same amount of detail as a very-small-scale map, just at a larger resolution.
a) more detail than a very-small-scale map
6. A graphical representation of the orientation of the map can best be shown with a
c. scale bar.
d. north arrow.
d) north arrow
7. A key to what the various symbols on a map are representing can be found in the map's
d. scale bar.
8. A graphical representation of the equivalent distances on a map can best be shown with a
a. scale bar.
b. north arrow.
a) scale bar
9. A map template provides
a. a pre-arranged way of placing elements on a map.
b. a blank space that can be used to place items on a map.
c. a pre-made map that can immediately be printed.
d. previously created symbology already applied to the map's legend.
a) a pre-arranged way of placing elements on a map
10. Which of the following is an example of a thematic map?
a. A trail map of a local municipal park
b. A map of a new subdivision, showing the locations of new roads and houses
c. A map of a neighborhood showing which houses are rentals and which are
d. A map showing the locations of all casinos in Pennsylvania
c) A map of a neighborhood showing which houses are rentals and which are not
11. Which of the following data classification methods selects class break levels by searching
for spaces in the data values?
a. Standard deviation
b. Natural breaks
c. Equal interval
b) natural breaks
12. Which of the following data classification methods attempts to place an equal number of
data values in each class?
b. Standard deviation
c. Equal interval
d. Natural breaks
13. Which of the following data classification methods selects class break levels by taking
the complete range of values and dividing by the desired number of classes?
a. Natural breaks
b. Equal interval
c. Standard deviation
b) equal interval
14. Which of the following data classification methods uses the average distance to the mean
value of the dataset in determining class break levels?
a. Equal interval
c. Natural breaks
d. Standard deviation
d) standard deviation
15. Having all count values of the data brought to the same level describes
b. graduated symbols.
c. cholopleth mapping.
d. reference mapping
Recommended textbook explanations
Essentials of Geology
Dennis G. Tasa, Edward J. Tarbuck, Frederick K. Lutgens
Pearson Earth Science
Sets found in the same folder
GIS Final 2.2
GIS Final 2.3
GIS 205 Midterm Review
Sets with similar terms
Quiz 6- Exam 2
CEE 3010 Quiz 4
Other sets by this creator
Nebraska Counties 3
Nebraska Counties 2
Nebraska Counties 1
GIS Test 1
Other Quizlet sets
Chapter 6 Learning Curve
hcs100 dr. lu final pt 1
MAR 301 Midterm