5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Large intestine
- a Inflammation of the appendix
- b The last section of the digestive system, where water is absorbed from food and the remaining material is eliminated from the body. About 6 feet long and is composed of the cecum, colon, rectum and anus.
- c A large solid organ that lies in the right upper quadrant immediately below the diaphragm; it produces bile, stores glucose for immediate use by the body, and produces many substances that help regulate immune responses., Breaks down toxins, such as alcohol and processes nutrients into forms easier for the rest of your body to use.
- d An open sore or lesion in the skin or mucous membrane; may cause periodic bleeding and the formation of scars.
- e a greenish-yellow or brownish fluid produced in and secreted by the liver, stored in the gallbladder, and released into the small intestine.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Glands of the mouth that produce saliva, a digestive secretion
- the waves of contraction seen in tubelike organs; propels substances along the tract.
- Digestive organ where most chemical digestion and absorption of food takes place, Digestion and absorption of food occurs in the small intestine. Here, food is acted on by various enzymes from the small intestine and pancreas and by bile from the liver.
- an accumulation of bile pigments in the blood producing a yellow color of the skin.
- a rounded mass of food prepared by the mouth for swallowing.
5 True/False questions
Villi → fingerlike projections of the small intestinal mucosa that tremendously increase its surface area for absorption.
Gastric gland → glands of the mucosa of the stomach that secrete HCl and hydrolytic enzymes (primarily pepsinogen, the inactive form of pepsin, a protein-digesting enzyme), which begins the enzymatic, or chemical breakdown of protein foods.
chyme → a greenish-yellow or brownish fluid produced in and secreted by the liver, stored in the gallbladder, and released into the small intestine.
Constipation → Condition characterized by difficulty in passing stool or an infrequent passage of hard stool
Polyp → A polymer (chain) of many amino acids linked together by peptide bonds.