Create an account
target market selection process
1) i.d. appropriate targeting strategy
2) determine which segment variable to use
3) develop market segment profiles
4) evaluate relevant market segment
5) select specific target markets
defines ENTIRE market for a certain product as its target market
1) market must be homogenous
2) co. must maintain a SINGLE marketing mix to satisfy their costumer needs
1) customer needs are heterogenous
2) segment is i.d.-able and divisible
3) 1+ segment has profit potential
4) co. has to be able to reach that chosen segment!
concentrated targeting strategy
1) can generate LARGE sales volume w/ a single segment
2) co. w/ few resources can compete w/ larger co.'s
if segment's D for product decreases, so will co.
differentiated targeting strategy
target 2+ segments, make marketing mix for each segment
1) MORE production processes, materials, skills = HIGHER production costs
2) HIGHER marketing costs
personality, motives, lifestyle, BEHAVIORISTIC (how consumer _uses_ the product
market segment profile
talks about similarities b/w potential customers, & diff b/w other market segments
total amount of a product for ALL firms in an industry which customers will purchase w/in a specified period
measures co. sales potential by est. HOW MUCH a potential buyer will purchase in a given time period
decisions & activities to create a certain CONCEPT of a product in customers _minds_
questioning a sample of consumers about their perceptions of products, brands, etc. w/ 2+ dimensions
bases for positioning
2) position to avoid competition (when your product is unique, or even when it's really similar)
3) avoiding competition when you want to avoid CANNiBALIZING your own product that's in the market
physically changing product, its P, distrib., promotion, aiming it at a different target market, etc.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together