Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 1 Test
Terms in this set (11)
1. What was the Three-Fifths Compromise and how did it help the North? How did it help the South?
Slave based south can count as population and the north can have get taxes
2. Describe the historical events leading up to the writing of the Declaration of Independence.
Sugar Act, Stamp Act, Townshend Acts, Quartering Act, then Battle Lexington and Concord, then, Thomas Paine Common Sense
3. Describe the Social Contract Theory.
1. Beginning life was harsh no gov't, no rule (anarchy) everyman for themselves
2. Man decides to work together to improve quality of life and well-being of all
3. For this to work man must give up some individual powers.
4. What were the complaints of the Anti-Federalist concerning the Constitution?
Lack of Bill of rights, No mention of God, States can't print their own $
List the powers of Congress under the Articles of Confederation
o Make war/peace treaties
o Borrow$ from the states
o Settle disputes between states
How did the Virginia Plan organize the government?
Bicameral congress with broad powers
Representation based on population and money
Upper house chosen by lower house lower house chosen by the people
How did the New Jersey Plan organize the government?
Unicameral legislature with less broad power, but with the ability to tax regulate trade between the states
All states have equal representation
Instead of single executive proposed a federal executive of more than one person
What were the Federalist Papers? (What was the goal?)
85 essays written persuasively to convince voters in New York, especially
Describe the government under the Articles of Confederation.
o scared/nervous about executive powers (KING)
o Unicameral congress
o No executive, no judicial
o 1 presiding over Congress
Describe the ratification process of the Constitution.
9 out of the 13 states needed for ratification
What was the purpose of writing the Declaration of Independence and what was the outcome?
To formally speak out against the king and declare independence from the British the outcome was they gain Independence
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Consititution History Test
Government test #2
Government test #2
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Chapter 10 Test