96 terms

Building Quiz 1


Terms in this set (...)

Brown Hall
Opened in 1967
Renovated 2006-2008 and re-opened the Summer of 2008
Who was Brown Hall named after?
William R. Brown
Classes held in Brown?
Foreign Languages and Literature
Features of Brown Hall?
Language Lab
Communication Resource Center
Language Library
Upgraded Facilities comply with state and WMU " Green" building guidelines
Chemistry Industrial Building
Opened in Spring 2007
Also known as the Chem Building or Chemistry Annex
Classes in the Chemistry
Features in the Chemistry Building
One of the largest lectures halls on campus
State of the art classroom technology
Updated science labs
Dalton Center
Opened in 1982
Home of the School of Fine Arts
What was the Dalton Center Named After?
Dorothy Upjohn Dalton ( former WMU Board of Trustee from 1964-1972)
Classes in the Dalton Center?
Dance ( 3rd floor)
Music ( 1st/ 2nd floor)
Features of the Dalton Center
Recital Hall
Dance Studios
24- Track Recording Library
Music and Dance Library
Music Therapy Clinic
Things to note for the Dalton Center
1st separate College of Fine Arts in Michigan
Won the best designed building in 1986
Dunbar Hall
Opened in 1971
Who was Dunbar Hall named after?
Willis F. Dunbar( History Professor from 1951-1970 and the Head of History Department from 1960-1967)
Classes in Dunbar Hall?
Comparative Religion
Political Science
Women's Studies
Computer Science
Black American Studies
Americana Studies
Features of Dunbar Hall?
Largest Television Studio in Southwest Michigan
Gilmore Theatre Complex
Originally acquired in 1967
Expansion and renovation completed in 1994
Who was the Gilmore Theatre Complex named after?
Irving S. Gilmore
Classes in Gilmore?
Musical theater
Features of Gilmore
Serves the theater, graphic, industrial and interior design programs
24 student workstations equipped with drafting tables and computers
Things to note about Gilmore
Gilmre is made up of 3 theaters
Shaw Theater- 570 people
York Arena- 125 people
William Theater- 350 people
Haenicke Hall
Opened in 1999
Who was Haenicke Hall named after?
WMU's 5th President Diether H. Haenicke
Classes in Haenicke Hall?
Science Research
Features in Haenicke Hall?
Science Research Pavillion
Five Floors
Over 60 state of the art labs
Knauss Hall
Opened in 1971
Who was Knauss Hall named after?
Dr. James O. Knauss ( was a History and Social Science professor from 1926-1956. He was the Head of the Division of Social Sciences in the 50s and University Archivist from 1956-1959)
Classes in Knauss Hall?
Features of Knauss Hall?
4 Lecture Halls
Kohrman Hall
Opened in 1966
Who was Kohrman Hall named after?
George E. Kohrman in 1980 Dean of the School is Applied Art and Sciences from 1951-1974
Classes in Kohram Hall?
Interior Design
Textile and Apparel Studies
Family Studies
Food Service Administration
Career and Technical Education
Plastics Technology
Features of Kohrman Hall
Advising Office of the College of Aviation
Offices and Studios for the School of Art can be found here
Lee Honors College
Opened in 1990
Enrolls more than 1400 students
Renovated 2011-2012
Who was the Lee Honors College named for?
Was named after Philanthropists Carl and Winifred Lee
Features of the Lee Honors College
Honors students academic advising
Student volunteer services
Double classrooms
Outdoor classroom with amphitheater
Large Student Study Lounge
Small Library
McCraken Hall
Opened in 1949
Original Use was for Paper Science Studies
Who was McCraken hall names after?
William McCraken - acted as president from 1922-1923
What classes are McCracken?
Now Closed
Paper Science and Paper Engineering
Things to note for McCracken Hall?
First classroom building on West Campus
Now operates as Paper Pilot Plant
Moore Hall
Opened in 1962
Who was Moore Hall named after?
Grace and Mary Moore who were sisters and longtime members of WMU staff
Features of Moore Hall
Women's Studies
Americana's Studies
Social Work
Black American Studies
Comparative Religion
Things to note about Moore Hall
Originally a women's residence hall
Richmond Center for the Visual Arts
Opened in Spring 2007
New Frostic School of Art Building
Ends completion of Art Village on West Campus
Who was the Richmond Center named after?
James W. and Lois I. Richmond
Features of Richmond Center
Gallery/ Studio space for student/ faculty artwork
Office space for faculty
Rood Hall
Opened in 1970
Rood Hall was named after?
Dr. Paul Rod ( former chair Physics Departments from 1952-1964)
What classes are in Rood Hall?
Features of Rood Hall
Geology Museums
Things to note about Rood Hall
Original use:
Science Libraries
Particle Accelerator Laboratory
Sangren Hall
Originally opened in 1964 and was rebuilt and opened in 2012
Who was Sangren Hall named after?
WMU's 2nd President
Paul V. Sangren
Classes in Sangren?
Blind Rehabilitation
Criminal Justice
Features of Sangren Hall
Home of the College of Education and Human Development
Two 20 seat lecture halls
Three 26 seat computers labs
Media Commons
Reading Center and Clinic
Flossie's Cafe
Education Resource Library
Schneider Hall
Opened 1990
Classes in Schneider Hall
Features in Schneider
Home of the Haworth College of Business
3rd Largest computer lab
Willard Brown Lecture Hall ( 350 seat auditorium- largest lecture hall on campus)
Things to note about HCOB
20 million dollar facility
Designed to resemble a fortune 500 company
South Kohrman
Opened in 2008
Classes in South Kohrman
Art Education
Photography and Inter media
Printing making
Metal and Jewelry
Foundation Coursework
Features of South Kohrman
Faculty Offices
Upgraded warehouse- sized studio spaces
Student Recreation Center
Opened in 1994
Classes in the Rec
Physical Education
Recreation Classes
Features of the Rec
Athletic Programs- Intramural/ Sport Clubs
2 Multipurpose gyms allow for different activities like:
Ping Pong
Indoor Soccer
Floor Hockey
Golf Driving Range
Baseball/ Softball Infield

45 foot indoor rock climbing wall
9 Racquetball and Walley ball courts
Indoor Walking and Jogging Track
Aerobics Rooms
Swimming pool with whirlpool attached
Free Swim
Water Aerobics
Intramural Sports Office
Computer Lab with Macs
Broadcast Vision ( TV students can listen to with headphones)
Things to note about the REC
For use by all University Students and Staff with a valid Bronco ID
Largest one room weight facility in the Midwest with more than 100 Stations
Free wights
Stair masters
Life Cycles
Nodric Tracks
Trimpe Hall
Opened in 1966
Who was Trimpe Hall named after?
Dr. Adrian Trimpe
Classes in Trimpe
Interior Design
Career and Technical
Features in Trimpe Hall
Computer Lab
Career and Technical Education
Faculty Senate Office
Office of Institutional Equity
Multicultural Center
Interior Design Office, Studio and Gallery
LGBTG Office
Welborn Hall
Opened in 1957 as a Hardings Grocery Store and was converted in 1987
Welborn Hall was named after?
Robert Welborn
Classes in Welborn
Paper Science
Paper Engineering
Wood Hall
Opened in 1962 and was retrofitted and re-opened in 1998
Who was Wood Hall named after?
Leslie H. Wood, she was the first teacher of the natural sciences and served in the Geography Department until 1933
Classes in Wood Hall
Biomedical Sciences
Science Studies
Features of Wood Hall
Science Laboratories
Finch Green House Attached ( houses plants not native to this region)
Computer Science Center
East Hall
Built and dedicated in 1905
Things to note about East Hall
WMU's 1st and oldest building
Formerly the administration building, gymnasium and training school
Final resting place for Dwight B. Waldo
The building is being renovated into a Alumni Center
Health and Human Services Building
Built in 2005
48.2 million dollar project
Classes in Health and Human Services Building
Blindness and low vision studies
School of Community Health Services
Speech Pathology and Audiology
Bronson School of Nursing
Physicians Assistant
School of Social Work
Features of the HHS
Advising for the College of HHS
Indoor Waterfall
Computer Center
Goalball Court 4th for Blind and Low vision Students
Things to note
in 2009, received gold-level certification Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design for Existing Buildings
Legacy Collection Centers
Built in 2013
Who Donated Legacy Collection Centers
Charles C and Lynn L. Zhang
Features of the Legacy Collection
Over 28,000 cubic feet making it WMU archives the largest facility of its type in southwestern MI and one of the largest in state
Holds manuscripts, oral histories, census record, a research collection of books, magazines, newspapers, and several large photographic collections
Montague House
Built in 1861
Currently occupied by the AAUP
Oakland Recital Hall/ Campus Cinema/ The Little Theater
Built in 1942
Formerly the home for Dramatic Arts. first school of Music at WMU
Different movies shown every weekend, sponsored by the Kalamazoo Film Society, University Film Society, or Western Film Society
Prices 3-5 dollars
Spindler Hall
Built in 1940
Formerly a women's dorm
Currently housing for non-traditional students
Vandercook Hall
Built in 1938
Formerly a men's dorm
Walwood Hall
Built in 1938
Renovated in 1990
Featuers of Walwood Hall
Formerly the Student Union
Graduate College
Medieval Institution
WMU Foundation
Public Affairs and Administration
Office of Development and Alumni Relations
Research Grants and Contracts
Paper Technology Foundations
Cistercian Studies
University Relations
WMU Bronson School of Nursing
Formerly named the School of Nursing and changed in 1999
In 1998 WMU School of Nursing earned the highest level of accreditation offered by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission
WMU Unified Clinics
Built in 1994
Features of WMU Unified Clinics
University Substance Abuse Clinic
Marion R Spear OT Teaching Clinic
VanRiper Speech, Language and Hearing Clinic
Vision Rehabilitation Clinic