Create an account
1. the result of the weight of a column of air pushing down on an area
2. air pressure is greatest at earth's surface because of gravity
1. a mixture of gases that surrounds the earth
2. contains oxygen, protects us from the sun and is always changing
2. particles move fast and are far apart
3. temperatures can reach 1000 degrees Celsius
4 layers of atmosphere from lowest to highest:
What causes different temperatures at different altitudes?
the temperature is warm if the air contains gases that absorb solar energy
the temperature is colder if there are fewer of these gases
The apparent curving of the path of winds and ocean currents due to the earth's rotation
the contamination of the atmosphere by the introduction of pollutants from human and natural sources.
1. pollutants that are put directly into the air by human or natural activity
2. examples: carbon monoxide, dust, smoke, chemicals
1. pollutants tht form when primary pollutants react with other primary pollutants or with naturally occurring substances such as water vapor
2. examples: ozone and smog
human-caused air pollution sources
1. transportation (largest source)
a. this could be reduced by driving hybrid cars that run
on both electricity and gasoline
2. industrial plants/power plants
3. indoor air pollution
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together