Upgrade to remove ads
Law of the Land Questions
Terms in this set (16)
(1) What is the supreme law of the land?
(2) What does the Constitution do?
sets up the government, defines the government, protects basic rights of Americans
(3) The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are those words?
We the people
(4)What is an amendment?
a change (to the Constitution), an addition (to the Constitution)
(5)What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?
The Bill of Rights
(6)What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?
speech, religion, assembly, press, petition the government
(7)How many amendments does the Constitution have?
(8)What is freedom of religion?
You can practice any religion, or not practice a religion
(9) What is the "rule of law?"
everyone must follow the law, leaders must obey the law, government must obey the law, no one is above the law
(10) What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful?
checks and balances, separation of powers
(11) Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. What is ONE power of the federal government?
to print money, to declare war, to create an army, to make treaties
(12) Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is ONE power of the states?
provide schooling and education, provide protection (police), provide safety (fire departments), give a driver's license, approve zoning and land use
(13) What happened at the Constitutional Convention?
The Constitution was written,
The Founding Fathers wrote the Constitution.
(14) When was the Constitution written?
(15) The Federalist Papers supported the passage of the U.S. Constitution. Name ONE of the writers
James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay, Publius
(16) What is ONE thing Benjamin Franklin is famous for?
oldest member of the Constitutional Convention,
first Postmaster General of the United States,
writer of "Poor Richard's Almanac",
started the first free libraries
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Joseph Campbell Vocab
White Collar Crime
Maybe Useful Words Mark 6
Maybe Useful Words 5
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
MKTG 312: Test #4
The Roman Republic - From the start to Caesar
Reaction versus Progress