5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Nucleic Acids
- Southern Hybridization
- a diagnostic technique; denature and add a known fluoresced DNA. Don't have to know base structure.
- b DNA and RNA; Basic Unit- nucleotide; Building Blocks- a cyclic pentose sugar; phosphate; nitrogenous base. DNA lacks a hydroxyl group making it more flexible.
- c m. wt. 10^3- 10^9; nucleic acids, proteins, lipids, polysaccharides. 4 most important to study.
- d Biological catalysts- specific for a chemical reaction; not used up in that reaction; Apoenzyme: protein.
Co-factor: non-protein component; Coenzyme- organic cofactor (NAD, FAD); Holoenzyme-Apoenzyme + cofactor.
- e all hydrocarbons have CH2 units (bad for health); animals
5 Multiple choice questions
- Sugar + Base + Phosphate; N-glycosidic bond- base; phosphodiester bond- phosphate
- N-acetyl muramic acid; important sugar acids in bacterial cell walls
- pyruvate, citrate, malate, etc.
- NAD+, NADP+, FAD, Coenzyme A
- The inhibitor binds to ES complex so that further reaction does not take place - either forward or backward.
5 True/False questions
Complex lipids → Fats or triglycerides= glycerol plus one or more fatty acids.
Ketose → fruit sugar mostly; but found in plants and animals also
Polysaccharides (glycans) → 10s-100s of polysaccharides; storage molecules, i.e., cellulose, chitin, glycogen; linear or branched; made of similar or different subunits.
Topoisomerases → proteins and RNA
Maltose → glucose and glucose; glucose is a bad sugar