5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- metabolic intermediates
- a N-acetyl muramic acid; important sugar acids in bacterial cell walls
- b alters the topology of DNA molecules.
- c m. wt. 10^3- 10^9; nucleic acids, proteins, lipids, polysaccharides. 4 most important to study.
- d nucleus, mitochondria, golgi bodies, chloroplasts
- e pyruvate, citrate, malate, etc.
5 Multiple choice questions
- long hydrocarbon chain ending in a carboxyl group -COOH
- diagnostic technique; denature and add a known fluoresced DNA. Don't have to know base structure.
- End-product allosterically inhibits the action of first enzyme in pathway. prevents cell from wasting resources.
- can be done with RNA or ssDNA
- an aggregation of two or more individual polypeptide chains; polymerase- polymeric heteromeric; hemoglobin- homomeric 4 subunits.
5 True/False questions
Simple Lipids → Fats or triglycerides= glycerol plus one or more fatty acids.
Oligosaccharides → most important are disaccharides; covalent linkages of two monosaccharides with the release of H2O (glycosidic bond). i.e. sucrose, lactose, maltose, etc.
Unsaturated → all hydrocarbons have CH2 units (bad for health); animals
Conjugated Proteins → contains only amino acids
Ketose → glucose and glucose; glucose is a bad sugar