5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone (THS)
- a Pancreas. Secreted by Beta cells. Target tissues: liver, adipose tissue, muscle, and satiety center of hypothalamus. Increases uptake of glucose and amino acids by cells. (in order to decrease blood glucose levels!)
- b Reseased from the thymus, plays an important role in development and maturation of the immune system
- c Decreased metabolic rate, Weight gain, reduced appetite, Dry and cold skin, Weak, flabby skeletal muscles, sluggish, Myxedema, Apathetic, somnolent, Coarse hair, rough dry skin, Decreased iodide uptake, Possible goiter, Cretinism
- d Produced by many tissues of the body, is an autocrine and paracrine regulatory substance. Promotes inflammation, pain, vasodilation of blood vessels, and is inhibited by aspirin.
- e Anterior Pituitary. Also called Thyrotropin. Causes release of thyroid hormones from thyroid gland. Controlled by TRH from hypothalamus and thyroid hormones from the thyroid gland
5 Multiple choice questions
- Zona glomerulosa, Aldosterone produced in greatest amounts causes increased rate of sodium reabsorption by kidneys increasing sodium levels in the blood
- Anterior Pituitary. Also called Adrenocorticotropin. Stimulates the secretion of hormones from adrenal cortex.
- Males, from Gonads, Testosterone- regulates production of sperm cells and function of male reproductive organs and secondary sex characteristics. Inhibin- inhibits FSH secretion
- Anterior Pituitary. Cause fat breakdown and release of fatty acids into circulatory system
- Stomach- Gastrin, Histamine. Duodenum- Secretin, Cholecystokinin
5 True/False questions
Parathyroid hormone (PTH) → Include Triiodothryronine or T3 and Tetraiodothyronine or T4 or thyroxine. Transported in blood. Bind with intracellular receptor molecules and initiate new protein synthesis. Increase rate of glucose, fat, protein metabolism in many tissues thus increasing body temperature. Normal growth of many tissues dependent on thyroid hormones. Calcitonin from parafollicular cells reduces blood calcium levels
Hormonal regulation soon after a meal → Blood glucose levels, including amino acids and fatty acids, increase. Taken up into cells.. Parasympathetic stimulation and increasing blood glucose levels cause increased insulin secretion from pancreas. Nutrients move into cells.
Beta endorphins → Anterior Pituitary. Play a role in analgesia in response to stress and exercise. Regulation of body temp, food intake, and water balance. Increase in response to stress and exercise.
Diabetes Mellitus → Hormone like substance known to stimulate T lymphocyte production
Androgens → Zona reticularis, Androstenedione and testosterone. Cause the development of male secondary sexual characteristics