Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (29)
Are Gebusi patriclans exogamous? What aspect of Gebusi society is endogamous?
The Gebusi generally marry within their settlement (endogamous), but not within their clans (exogamous)
What is preferential sister exchange?
Neither patriclan "loses" a woman without getting one back
On a per capita basis, Knauft draws a parallel between the homicide rate among the Gebusi and what event?
Who accuses whom of sorcery?
The relatives of someone who has died normally accuses someone else of casting sorcery on the deceased
Who is generally excluded form being accused of sorcery?
Young women (ask Karisse)
What can we learn about the nature of human gender and sexuality in general from the Gebusi?
- Cultures often fuel the same desires they forbid
- The range of variation in accepted (mandated) sexual practice is amazing
- Helps us contextualize the degree to which our own sexuality is influenced by both cultural and personal orientations
Initiation celebrations are massive affairs. How long to prepare?
What type of preparation for initiation?
Food for 400
How is initiation accomplished in absence of a leader?
- At one level through tradition
- At another level through normalizing effect of other family units
- And finally through spirit world advice
How did anthropology's goals change between Knauft's visits?
- Shifted from "remote and primitive" to "social change and transformation"
- Questions of global change and cultural continuity are debated
What were some of the changes in Gasumi Corners?
- Kogwayay (Their world view)
- Gebusi were now "punctual and disciplined"
What forces were increasingly at work on the Gebusi?
- External forces
- Desires for modernity...bigger and better houses, and commodities, education and wage work
What causes the forces that were increasingly at work on the Gebusi?
Positive feedback: Market changes and , etc. provide a strong sense of "participation" without success
What christian denominations are present in the Nomad area?
SDA, Catholics, Evangelical
What changes have come to the Gebusi as a result of the introduction of an outside religion?
- Loss of old-time joking and whole community interaction
- Massively decreased homicide rate
Only a few people have money to spend at the market, why is it even held?
The market gives the Gebusi access to the cash economy
Who are the primary marketers?
Energy cost does not equal income, how can the market be rationale?
"The economy of money...was paltry and...unproductive, but its economy of culture was strong and important" pg.124
How have Gebusi marriage patterns changed; is sister exchange still viable?
- None since 1982
- bride price is relatively minimal, but... (28$) Karisse
In what ways was Bruce shocked by the independence day celebrations?
- Parodies of tradition
- As cultures interact, the "meanings, identities, and values cross cut local boundaries and become regional, national, and even international in scale" pg.180
How has independence day replaced the initiation ritual?
What was night time and private for Gebusi culture has become public for strangers
On Knauft's return to Nomad/Gasumi corners what does he find?
- Runway is Kaput
- "Material circumstances have declined"
- Government official have fled
- But folks are happy!
- Population is up and Gebusi are relying on, tradition, foods, etc. and reclaiming traditions
- Built a new long house!
Performance and expression emphasized reciprocity and exchange with natural and spiritual world
Expanded to wider web, including broader ethnic, interethnic, regional and national affiliations as well as Christian denominations
Identification are now tempered and complemented by a greater core reliance on customs and rituals associated with their own past
Reliance on rainforest, kith and kin interaction, traditional costuming and performance
Steel tools, manufactured implements, clothes, desire for money, interest in local church, new music
Salvage enthnography and salvage ethnoarchaelology
Collected works allow for native groups to reclaim their past. Anthropologists and archaeologists can be fervent proponents for the revitalization of cultures
- In fact, some of this is mandated by law
Knauft's observations tell us many things about the Gebusi that relates to the human condition as a whole. One of the most outstanding observations is for the "human ability for aggression and violence to be effectively managed and reduced through social and cultural change" pg. 168
Other sets by this creator
Geol test 2
Geol 3120 test 1
NTRS Chapter 9