Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Africana Studies Mid Term
Terms in this set (13)
What 3 regions (West Central Africa) exported the most slaves to North America (face Brazil) atlantic ocean?
- Congo Anglo
- South East Nigeria (Bight of Benin, Calabar, Bonny)
What place in East Africa contributed the most slaves to North America? (face India) india ocean?
What did Lorena Walsh discover methodologically?
- The rivers/ ports (planters) in VA, financial houses in England (port cities), and the places they went to in Africa (export) (relationship). -- Ethnographic distribution and computation
- Compute and discover relationships between the dynamic and relationship of those factors
How were slaves created?
- War captives
- Political position
Main Europeans to interact?
Who was Omar Ibn Said?
- He was a captive in North Carolina, from senegal.
- Smithsonian brought this up.
- We know his african name
- He was writing in Arabic
(people thought Africans could not and should not write)
- He was writing about theology and religion
- Many people like him, but don't remember their African names or we not aware of
- People have and share stories,
Wolof term for slave soldiers
What about the movie "Ceddo"?
- Pawnship system
- Religion (Islam) role (traditional beliefs vs islam)
- French Trader
- Position of women ( Princess had high rank- and position- power) - Have agency
- Arranged marriages
- How captives were treated, how they didn't live with the nobles, etc.
Who were the Atlantic Creoles?
- Afro- European culture/ sometimes ethnicity
- Arrived in the US before racism laws were embedded into society
Article: What's in a name by (Paul Lovejoy)
- Equiano - Gustuvo (Ibo)
-Argument: His identity. Whether he should go by African or slave name.
- Is he African or not? That was the argument. Weather he was from South Carolina
- Equiano- the name was personal
- Gustavo on your free papers, insisted on this name (savvy) because his free papers were in that name
- there were fewer language barriers. Because many people came from similar backgrounds and were exposed to these languages before the boat
- Ports in VA, Financial houses, and Ports from where the slaves came from
Mande People and culture (language family) senegambian
Walsh and Gomez are first talking about:
- interactions among Africans. How are you going to effectively label someone as Malike or Bambara if these groups are so closely knitted?
- Historians not understanding ethnicities and being reluctant to talking about and defining clear lines. Understanding of Africans.
Other Quizlet sets
OTCs - Exam III
Digestive 2 A&P II Final
French Revolution and Napoleon Test Burdon