Upgrade to remove ads
Peds-U2-Ch 32- Outline Notes* (School-aged)
Terms in this set (17)
School age is ....
6 to 12 years old
Concerns of boys -
- boys become more aware of increasing genital size. Hypertropphy of breast tissue can occur. Have pubic hair before anywhere else. Boys notice ejaculation during sleep, termed nocturnal emissions.
Language development -
- because children discover "dirty" jokes at about age 9, they like to tell them to friends or try to understand those told by adults. They can carry on conversations, although stories are limited because of a lack of experience.
DEVELOPMENTAL TASK :
industry vs inferiority
Cognitive development: Decentering -
- the ability to project one's self into other people's situations and see the world from their viewpoint rather than focusing only on their own view.
Cognitive development: Accommodation -
- the ability to adapt thought processes to fit what is perceived such as understanding that there can be more than one reason for other people's actions.
Cognitive development: Conservation -
- the ability to appreciate that a change in shape does not necessarily mean a change in size.
Cognitive development: Class inclusion -
- the ability to understand that objects can belong to more than one classification.
Recreational drug use -
- marijuana, cocaine, and amphetamines are now available to children as early as elementary school and certainly by the time they reach the seventh and eighth grades.
- actions are intended to cause harm or to control someone, and are sometimes attributed to poor relationships with peers and difficulty identifying with a group.
Violence or terrorism -
- basically view their world as safe, so it is a shock when violence such as a school shooting or reports of terrorists enter their lives.
- occurs because, although a child is gaining an appreciation for money, this appreciation is not yet balanced by strong moral principles or an understanding of ownership.
Sex education -
- it is important that school-age children be educated about pubertal changes and responsible sexual practices.
Lack of adult supervision -
- children whose parents both work outside the home may spend time alone without adult supervision for a part of each weekday. A major concern of children staying home alone is that they will experience an increased number of unintentional injuries, delinquent behavior, alcohol or substance abuse, or decreased school performance.
Assessing in School-age children includes:
- nutrition and diet
- dental caries and malocculsion
- speech problems
- fear and anxiety
- victim of violence, terrorism, and bullying
- drug use
Health Promotion: Nutrition -
- establishing healthy eating patterns
- fostering industry and nutrition
- recommended dietary reference intakes
- vegetarian diet
Health Promotion: Daily Activities -
- DRESS (they can fully dress themselves, they are not skilled at taking care of clothes until late in school-age; have definite opinions about clothing styles - possible bullying)
- SLEEP (required sleep is highly variable in the school-age years and is dependent on: age, level of activity, and health status)
- EXERCISE (need daily exercise)
- HYGIENE (generally able to bathe themselves but may not do it well because they are too busy to take the time or do not find it as important as parents; may want to shower)
- CARE OF TEETH (with proper dental care, average child can expect to grow up cavity free)
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
PEDS-U2-Ch 29- ?s from Hmwk, Book, & Powerpoint
Peds-U2-Ch 32- ?s from Hmwk, Book, & PowerPoint
Peds-U2-ATI- Ch 3 (Infants: 1 mo - 1 yr)
PEDS-U2-Ch 30- ?s from Hmwk; Book; & Powerpoint
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Peds:Nursing Care of a Family with a School-Age Ch…
PRESCHOOL AND SCHOOL AGED DEVELOPMENT
Pedi Chapters 15/17: Health Promotion, School-Aged…
NURS 355 Chapter 15
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Med Pass Helper & Good Ethics
NCLEX - Last few labs
NCLEX - Antidotes & Things to monitor w/ drugs
NCLEX - Meds used for DM