Create an account
ionic compounds traits (5)
1. - have high melting points, brittle, usually solid crystal at room temperature
2. - good conductors of electricity when they are in liquid state or in solution.
3. do not have molecules as their basic structural unit
4. positively and negatively charged particles called ions are present
5. after the transfer each atom becomes oppositely charged-->thus attracted to each other
molecular compound traits (4)
1. - have lower melting points and often pliable
2. - tend to be gases, liquids, or low-melting solids.
3. - do not conduct electricity in their liquid state.
4. basic structural unit is a molecule
5. sharing causes a region of high electron density (neg charge) btw atoms & both nuclei are attracted to the high density
Ionic bonds occur between
1. metal and nonmetal
2. metal and polyatomic ion
3. polyatomic ion and a polyatomic ion.
ionic bonds are
1. a complete transfer of electrons from one atom to another
2. formed through the transfer of one or more electrons from one atom or group of atoms to another atom or group of atoms = ionic compound
1. is the attractive force (electrical)that holds two atoms together in a more complex unit.
2. They form as a result of interaction between electrons found in the outer most shell of the elements.
3. Join the atoms together in a compound
1. formed through the sharing of one or more pairs of electrons between two atoms = molecular compound
2. occur between 2 nonmetals
1. charged, covalently bonded groups of atoms.
i. Charged "pieces of molecules" - consist of specific number and kinds of atoms joined together by covalent bonds in a definite way.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together