5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Components of culture
- The process of perception occurs in three stages.
- Three models to demonstrate communication:
- Action model
- physical constructs
- a Action model, interaction model, transaction model
- b treats communication as a one way process
- c selection, organization, interpretation
- d symbols, language, values, norms
- e emphasize people's appearance, causing us to notice objective characteristics such as person's height, age, ethnicity, or body shape, and subjective characteristics such as person's physical attractiveness.
5 Multiple choice questions
- These biases influence our communication and satisfaction in long-term relationships
- the process of categorizing information that has been selected for attention.
- believes in the concentration of power in the hands of certain groups.
- the ongoing process of making meaning from what we experience in our environment
- A three-part process:
Identify a group we believe someone belongs
Recall some generalization about that group
Apply the generalization to that person
5 True/False questions
Selection → the process of attending to a stimulus
over attribution → the tendency to attribute a range of behaviors to a single characteristic of a person.
Interaction Model → A source formulates an idea
The source encodes the idea in the form of a message
The message is sent through a communication channel
A receiver decodes the message
Interpretation is affected by noise
Competent communicators practice: → self awareness, adaptability, empathy, cognitive complexity, ethics.
High context culture → believes verbal communication should be straightforward and direct.
"say what you mean and mean what you say"