5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- High power distance culture
- Action Model
- Cultural communication codes
- a the ongoing process of making meaning from what we experience in our environment
- b reflect groups of people within your society with whom you identify.
ex. fraternity, clubs focused on hobbies....
- c believes in the concentration of power in the hands of certain groups.
- d A source formulates an idea
The source encodes the idea in the form of a message
The message is sent through a communication channel
A receiver decodes the message
Interpretation is affected by noise
- e Idioms, Gestures
5 Multiple choice questions
- the tendency to attribute others' behaviors to internal rather than external causes.
- The learned, shared symbols, language, values and norms that distinguish one group of people from another
- Sees time as non-linear; expectations for promptness vary according to the relationship
- treats communication as a one way process
5 True/False questions
Mono-chronic culture → Sees time as non-linear; expectations for promptness vary according to the relationship
Low context culture → believes verbal communication should often be indirect.
relies heavily on nonverbal cues
Interaction Model → Includes all elements of the Action Model, and also suggests that:
Receivers provide feedback through verbal and nonverbal behavior
The context of communication affects its meaning
over attribution → are answers to "why" questions: why did something occur?
Communication competence → emphasize people's behavior, so we notice that a person is outgoing aggressive shy sarcastic or considerate.