CAE Gapped Sentences
CAE Gapped Sentences
Terms in this set (95)
1. Even though they don't work together any more, Michelle and Peter are still very _______ friends.
2. The scientists are ______ to reaching a breakthrough in their research programme.
3. Don't get too _____ to Anthea, she's got a really bad cold.
1. Paula's job each day was to _____ the table before each meal.
2. The dog ran across the new path before the concrete had had the chance to _______ properly.
3. If you want people to respect local traditions, you have to _____ an example.
1. The bird is so ______ that it appears on the endangered list in many countries.
2. Sadly, restaurants that source only local products are all too ______ these days.
3. Pam took advantage of a ______ opportunity to meet the elusive leader of the political movement.
1. Students on that course are expected to read really ______, even beyond the immediate subject matter.
2. Supporters of slow food aim to promote the idea as _____ as possible.
3. It is _____ beleived that tourism has a positive effect on small island communities.
1. Eating good food should be a natural _____ of everyday life.
2. Sally was delighted to be offered a _____ in a new television drama.
3. William was keen to acknowledge the _____ played by his parents in establishing his successful business.
1. The idea that we shouldn't be eating food that has flown half-way across the world has really ______ off in recent years.
2. Although he's not a professional musician, Clive has always _____ his singing very seriously.
3. An international charity has ______ over the running of the second-hand shop in the village.
1. Olga told Mario to _______ still while she took his photographs.
2. When finished, the modernist sculpture will ______ in the town's main square.
3. I can't ______ the way Phil keeps interrupting me when I'm trying to explain something.
1. When interviewing applicants for jobs, you should be careful not to judge people by their ______ alone.
2. Dan's work has the _______ of something done in a great hurry, because he never goes back and checks what he's written.
3. Fina asked the child actor how old he'd been when he made his first ______ on television.
1. "Can you ______ all these enquires yourself, or would you like some help?" David asked the company's new receptionist.
2. Having decided to reorganize their office space, the company needed to find somebody who could _____ the project for them.
3. Although afraid of offending her host, Stella simply couldn't ________ to finish the enormous portion of meat she was given.
1. Tina was keen to buy a folding bicycle that would ______ inside the boot of her car.
2. Marius painted in a very individual style that didn't _______ easily into any traditional category.
3. Greg borrowed his brother's suit to wear at the wedding, but to be honest it didn't really ____ him very well.
1. I'm not _______ about Barbara's new hairstyle - it makes her look too serious.
2. Steve didn't really know the answer to the last question in the quiz, so he just made a _______ guess and to his astonishment he got it right.
3. It is now an offence to pick ______ flowers in the countryside.
1. It was rather _____ day, with so much mist and low cloud that we hardly got to see any sunshine at all.
2. Thelma explained to the doctor that what she felt in her knee was more a kind of _______ ache than a sharp pain.
3. The film is really action-packed from start to finish with never a ______ moment.
1. It is ________ to see why the presenter is so popular - he is such a lively person.
2. Although the local people speak with an accent, it is ____ enough for visitors to understand.
3. Tom's grandmother hadn't had an ____ life, but she'd always had a very positive attitude.
1. Tom found that having to _____ such a heavy bag everywhere was rather inconvenient.
2. Although we were getting poor results from the research, we were advised to _____ on with the experiments.
3. The school is hoping to ______ out an extensive programme of repairs during the summer break.
1. Although not professionally trained, Damian can produce a technical drawing with a ______ degree of precision.
2. Cindy thought it really wasn't ____ of her boss to blame her for all the mistakes in the document.
3. In common with most her family, Glenda has very _____ skin.
1. On her first day in the job, Keira was asked to _____ through a long list of customer complaints and decide which needed an urgent response.
2. Graham couldn't ________ out why he never seemed to get an interview when he applied for jobs.
3. Milly would get angry when she couldn't get the office photocopier to ______ properly.
1. There has been a rather _____ response to the job advertisement that the company placed in the local newspaper.
2. Although double-checking the customer database was a rather ______ and time-consuming process, a number of serious mistakes were uncovered as a result.
3. Jamie was ______ to realise that he was fundamentally unsuited for the job he was doing, and so hadn't been thinking of alternatives.
1. Although access to its website is free, there's a small ______ if you want to receive the company's monthly newsletter.
2. Simon decided to take ______ of his own financial affairs at the relatively early age of seventeen.
3. Derek is in _______ of the office whilst his manager is on maternity leave.
1. When groups of visitors come to the television studios, guides ______ them round the set of the popular soap opera.
2. Any inaccuracies in the data will ______ up when the graphs are produced on screen.
3. The success of perfumes bearing the name of top models really does _____ how influential celebrities can be.
1. Although initially regarded only as a soap opera star, Emily has _______ the respect of the critics for her recent film roles.
2. For young singers, there is nothing to be _______ from over-exposure in the media at an early stage of their career.
3. The former model is reported to have _______ a lot of weight since her retirement.
1. The casting director has an excellent eye for talent and generally manages to _______ young actors who go on to perform very well in the show.
2. Brian was in a really bad mood, ready to ______ a fight with anyone who disagreed with him.
3. In the darkness, it was just impossible to _____ out the outline of a building in the distance.
1. A person's age and background will always ________ their choice of friends.
2. The actress said that she was happiest performing in front of a large group of people, so first-night nerves didn't ______ her greatly.
3. This disease is often difficult to identify as it doesn't _____ everyone in the same way.
1. Erin was on the ______ of resigning from the club, when she was unexpectedly offered the role of Treasurer.
2. Michael had made a ________ of contacting all of his team mates personally to explain why he would be missing the important match.
3. As they had numbered seats, Diane couldn't see the ______ of getting to the concert before the performance was due to start.
1. If it is not tended regularly, any garden will soon ______ into a state of disrepair.
2. Successful television personalities generally ______ into one or two categories - either they are very lucky or they are very determined.
3. Sonia had to miss a lecture, but asked to borrow a friend's notes so that she didn't ______ too far behind with the work.
1. The chef complained that everyone was getting in his ________ and ordered them to leave.
2. Ron is determined to win this competition and I can't imagine him going out of his ________ to help anyone else.
3. I was surprised that none of the people I asked knew the _________ to the museum.
1. The headmaster must take urgent _____ to stop the bullying that is happening in this school.
2. I had to stop and rest before I climbed the final ______ of the lighthouse.
3. If you get lost in the woods, you should retrace your _____ and go back to camp.
1. The group believed the song ____________ a good chance of being a hit but didn't dream it would reach number one.
2. Being the only child with an American accent, I ___________ out amongst the other children at school.
3. My parents ___________ by me all the time I was in prison and did everything they could to get me released.
1. Would you ___________ for a cup of tea while you're waiting Mr Williams?
2. Our society should take more ___________ of the elderly and treat them with respect.
3. Martin doesn't seem to _____________ that his aggressive behavior could get him into trouble.
1. Police now doubt that anybody will _______ responsibility for the bomb that exploded yesterday.
2. The old lady's ________ that she had seen a UFO was never taken seriously by anyone.
3. If you have an accident and make a ______, you will have to pay more for future car insurance.
1. Ministers have been told to wait until the Foreign Secretary ___________ a formal statement before speaking to the press about the incident.
2. The subject of legalising drugs is one of those controversial___________ which is unlikely to be resolved soon.
3. In the next two ____________ of the National Reporter we will be bringing you a special report on the health care crisis.
1. The other children would often laugh at her, _____ her names and make her cry.
2. Alan Kelcher was very laid-back, and let his pupils _____ him by his first name.
3. Give her a ______ and ask her to go out with you.
1. House prices _____ dramatically last year and they bought themselves a small flat near the town centre.
2. I always thought that love at first sight only happened in films but I _____ for Jill the moment I set eyes on her.
3. He _____ out with his father after a blazing row and hasn't spoken to him since.
1. The president highlighted the _______ relationship that existed between the two countries, who, he said, were now "the closest of allies".
2. Relations with management have not improved and there's a _______ chance the union will call a strike next week.
3. I never liked kissing my grandmother, because I couldn't stand the ________ smell of her perfume.
1. He had a friendly, open face and she ______ an instant liking to him.
2. In appearance Emily _______ after her father, but she inherited her intelligence from her mother.
3. It _______ some time to sort out our marriage problems, but now our relationship is pretty good.
1. They've had a ________ of disagreements recently, but normally they get on fine together.
2. Can you reverse the car a little so we can _______ it to the caravan.
3. The whole restaurant had been booked by a middle-aged married ________ celebrating their silver wedding anniversary.
1. His latest novel centres on the uneasy relationship between the two countries at the ________ of the last century,
2. The last person I expected to _______ up at my wedding was my ex-boyfriend!
3. I usually ______ to my mother for help or advice: she's a better listener than my father.
1. There has been a recent _______ towards domestic tourism with fewer people booking overseas holidays.
2. The government plans to ________ its attention away from punishing crime to crime prevention.
3. I'm changing to a different ________ next week so I'll be starting work much later.
1. The aim of the campaign is to ______ an end to poverty in our inner cities.
2. The purpose of using old films in the classroom is to _________ history alive for the students.
3. The new water pump will _________ about a significant change in the lives of the local villagers.
1. There were scratches along both _____ of my car when Julia returned it to me.
2. My mother always ______ with my brother when we have an argument.
3. The coach asked Ernesto to change _____ so both groups had an equal number of good players.
1. The _____ of the painting is thought to be the artist's mother.
2. The festival organizers would like to point out that all times and dates are ______ to change.
3. Some politicians change the ______ rather than answer a question they find awkward.
1. It's dangerous to ______ lanes on the motorway without indicating first.
2. Although we flicked the ______ a number of times, the machine would not work.
3. We will no longer be using the old accounting software after we _______ over to the new software next month.
1. I came home to find my son _______ up bits of glass from the kitchen floor.
2. The holiday brochure showed majestic forests _______ over the mountains.
3. The new boss promised there will be _______ changes within our department.
1. I can't get the top off this bottle - my ______ isn't strong enough.
2. The new manager asked a lot of questions in order to get a _____ on what was happening.
3. We haven't got a very good _______ on the environmental problems we are creating.
1. First you have to _____ the eggs into the bowl.
2. We must do something about filling that ____ in the wall before it lets in rain.
3. She's amazing - she managed to _____ the problem as soon as I gave it to her!
1. _______ products must be put in the appropriate bin for recycling.
2. We must eat the chicken today or it will go to _______.
3. Trying to save energy in our homes is a _____ of time unless everybody does it
1. Could you do me a ______ and give me a lift?
2. I'm not in ______ of reducing the time we quarantine animals from abroad.
3. Cuts in taxes always _____ rich people.
1. He had an ______ in his car but he's OK.
2. I bumped into her by ______ when I was shopping.
3. It is no _______ that he got the job - his brother is the manager.
1. Could you _________ me at the next corner? I can walk from there.
2. The temperature tends to _______ sharply at night at this time of year.
3. I think we should ________ this subject before we have a big argument about it.
1. He got the job because he had a useful ________ in the company who arranged an interview for him.
2. We used to phone each other regularly, but I haven't been in _______ with her for some time.
3. In my job I have personal _______ with members of the public every day.
1. During the concert, Tori suffered an unexpected _____ of memory for a few minutes.
2. The owners do not accept any responsibility for _____ or damage to the vehicles parked in this car park.
3. When Jason set up his own business, he expected to make a _____ for the first few months.
1. Chloe realized that it was pointless arguing with her boss any further because they were clearly not of the same ____ on the issue.
2. The good thing about having such a close friend is that I can almost read his _______, and never have to ask him what he thinks.
3. The fact that he had offended Tania had been on Terry's _____ for some time.
1. I felt _______ when I got up this morning but I don't feel too good now.
2. There is a _______ line between perfectionism and obsession.
3. If you want to change our arrangement, that's _______ with me.
1. The last _________ of the book isn't quite as exciting as the rest of it.
2. He always plays the _________ of the hero in his films.
3. Because one small ______ stopped working, the whole machine broke down.
1. After long negotiations, they ______ the dispute without going to a court of law.
2. We looked at lot of apartments to rent and finally we _____ on this one.
3. My family moved to Canada and _______ in Toronto many year ago.
1. Terry's in the _____ of applying for a new job with a pharmaceutical company.
2. Scientists are developing a new ______ that will allow minerals to be extracted from waste.
3. You must check the temperature at each stage in the cheese-making _______.
1. As the weather deteriorated, it became obvious that we would have to _____ back and find a hotel in the town we'd just passed through.
2. When you see the hotel on your left, you need to _____ right immediately afterwards.
3. If you _____ the piece of paper over, you'll se my address on the back.
1. If the college buys its computer equipment in bulk, it may get a special _______ from the supplier.
2. There has been a great ______ of money invested in research into global warming recently.
3. Some people complain about having to walk home in the dark, but for me it's no big ________.
1. Fiona had a free afternoon, so she was able to give the problem her full _______.
2. The new research has been the subject of considerable media ______ recently.
3. I think we should bring the problem to the ______ of the local council.
1. Looking at Barry's assignment, you get a real _____ of the pride he takes in his work.
2. There is no ______ in washing the car before the journey, it'll only need doing again once we get there.
3. Fortunately, Louis had the _____ to check the brakes before he rode off on the bike he'd borrowed.
1. Sarah had to admit that 'mind gym' was a _____ she'd never come across before.
2. The local politician is hoping to be re-elected for a second ____ of office.
3. I think that in the short ____, we should concentrate on keeping the service running.
1. The scientist's proposal to do further research into his subject has been ______ by the finance committee.
2. When there was a total eclipse, the moon completely ______ out the light of the sun.
3. The road to the airport has been completely _____ by an overturned lorry.
1. In the ______ term, there is very little chance of funding for further research into this matter.
2. There will be a ______ break after the next lecture to give students the chance to grab a coffee.
3. After climbing to the top of the stairs, the elderly professor was rather ____ of breath.
1. The aim of this task is to _____ your knowledge of vocabulary.
2. The drug company has decided not to _____ its product on animals in the future.
3. In order to ______ out his new theory, the scientist has taken over the university laboratory.
1. I know the song but I can't put a _______ to it.
2. People often commit very selfless acts in the _____ of love.
3. I would have had a lot of tax to pay so I registered the business in my son's _______.
1. I gave the ball such a hard _____ that it went out of play.
2. Why do you always _____ up such a fuss about going to the dentist's?
3. If he doesn't study harder I think they will _____ him out!
1. In this lecture, I'll be examining where the ______ of the English language took place.
2. She speaks Hindi well but she is British by _______.
3. I was so excited about the _______ of my child that I couldn't wait.
1. The country was ______ into chaos by the transport strike.
2. The restaurant is now closed so if you don't leave I will have you _____ out.
3. After he spoke the debate was ____ open to audience.
1. He's just _____ his job in so I don't know what he'll do now!
2. It was rush hour so the trains were absolutely ________.
3. Please make sure you get your suitcase ______ and ready to take downstairs by 1pm.
1. A good diet and fitness ________ a large part in helping people live longer.
2. So far, the company has refused to ________ ball, preferring to remain independent.
3. Rain stopped ________ after only an hour.
1. The ________ thing about him is that he never eats in the evening
2. She takes the ________ day off work.
3. We've got a few ________ jobs to do this weekend.
1. She's a woman without fear, with a ________ of her own, who says what she thinks.
2. He didn't ________ that other people thought him odd.
3. If you want to carry on with what you were doing, please don't ________ me.
1. His new job will ________ travelling all over the world.
2. It was ________ of him not to invite her.
3. The study involved 60 patients with a ________ age of 58.2 years.
1. I need to ________ 5 pounds if I am to fit inside my suit.
2. It's an awful thing to ________ someone dear to you.
3. You might as well go for it - you've got nothing to ________ in any case.
1. We sat and talked by the ________ of the fire.
2. They set out at first ________ for the summit.
3. These discoveries may throw new ________ on the origins of man.
1. It's just a ________ to them. They don't care what happens.
2. John gave the ________ away by laughing when Jim walked in.
3. We've been in this ________ for twenty years.
1. He is a tall, clumsy-looking boy with two ________ feet
2. How much milk is ________ in the fridge?
3. All that's now ________ to show for our hard work is an empty office.
1. I invited them to ________ us for dinner.
2. A lot of people want to ________ the club, so there's a long waiting list.
3. Her parents are going to London next week and she will ________ them later.
1. At the age of 17, he went ________ the building trade as an apprentice.
2. Eight ________ twenty-four is three.
3. I'm really ________ folk music.
1. The factory was on the ________ of the valley
2. A river runs through the centre of the village with the church on one ________ and the market place on the other.
3. Julia was lying on her ________ on the bed.
1. Susan is not the ________ to get annoyed.
2. Open up the accounts database, and ________ in the amount of each order.
3. Your hair ________ requires a specific shampoo.
1. Ferguson planned to broaden its product ________ to include internet telephones.
2. Joan hoped that the others were out of ________ of her mother's voice.
3. Prices ________ from around £10 for a basic keyboard, to £50 for an ergonomic one.
1. The riots presented a considerable risk to ________ and property.
2. The building began ________ as a church.
3. Try to put some ________ into your painting.
1. I seem to have lost the ________ with all my personal records on it.
2. Today is the deadline for self-employed people to ________ their tax returns.
3. We walked in single ________ along the path.
1. The cliff ________ was starting to crumble into the sea.
2. I don't know how I'm going to ________ her after what happened.
3. The Wasps ________ the Hornets in two weeks.
1. I can't believe that Colin doesn't ________ like sport.
2. Families somehow survived, ________ as they were being torn apart by the war.
3. Once in a while why not take advantage of the smooth, ________ surface to concentrate on your control and technique?
1. Barbara Molland had found the box in a ________ that stood under the window in Kate's room.
2. As the phrase suggests, a main ________ of cables splits off into branches which supply individual subscribers.
3. The enormous tree ________ provided a home for rich colony of bird and insect life.
1. But the re-organisation means the ________ is now on the other foot as far as money is concerned.
2. I wouldn't like to be stuck down a dark alley at night with whoever put the ________ in here.
3. This can be accessed even if the machine won't ________ up correctly.
1. You need to ________ all applications before shutting down your computer.
2. Should the factory ________ down, 100 people will lose their jobs.
3. Mike's had three car accidents, plus a few other pretty ________ shaves.
1. A new ________ of practice governing the advertising of tobacco products is being introduced.
2. It ran contrary both to his upbringing and personal ________ of behaviour that men should show emotion.
3. The source ________ and documentation will be available to developers.
1. Shareholders expect a good ____ on their investment.
2. The banks agreed to write off the company's debt in ____ for control.
3. The amount an investment produces before has is taken off is called the gross _____ .
1. The key ____ was whether or not the workers should be classified as permanent staff.
2. I have to take ____ with what you said yesterday: I don't agree at all.
3. A special ____ of the company magazine was distributed to all employees.
1. The website gibes details of all the hotels in the area in ____ of price.
2. He sent off the ____ for 100 new computers.
3. The sales assistant promised to ____ the new range of tablet computers.
1. Sales by American firms based in Japan do not ____ as exports.
2. You might cover your costs, but don't ____ on it.
3. At the last ____, I had 15 responses to my letter.
1. Can I get interest free ____ on your goods?
2. You will get one ___ for this course.
3. She likes to take ____ for other people's ideas.
1. Currently, a number of people are experiencing difficulties paying off their ____ .
2. The total amount of money the government of a country has borrowed and owes is called the national ____ .
3. He did me a huge favor, and I will remain in his ____ .