Flickr Creative Commons Images
Some images used in this set are licensed under the Creative Commons through Flickr.com.
Click to see the original works with their full license.
- Seated Boxer, Bronze, 1st cen BCE Hellenistic Greek. (Found in ruins of Baths of Constantine at end of 19th century)
- Dying Gaul, Marble, 1st cen. BCE (Found 17th cen. in Horti Sallustiani, former gardens of Julius Caesar)
- Antonio da Sangallo the Younger and Michelangelo. Palazzo Farnese (façade and piazza in front only). 16th cenury.
- Baldassare Peruzzi. Villa Farnesina. (façade, entrance, and summer dining room). (16th century).
- Michelangelo. Pietà. 1499 (15th century). Marble, height 1.74 m, width at the base 1.95 m. S. Peter's Basilica, moved from old basilica.
- Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The Baldacchino. 1624-33 (17th century). Bronze, with gilding, height 30 m. crossing, S. Peter's Basilica.
- Flaminio Ponzio, 1612-13; and Giovanni Vasanzio (after 1613). Casino. (Galleria Borghese). At Villa Borghese.
- history of display of Bernini sculptures, from 17th-18th century; social function of art