1) Alcoholism can be inherited, and other factors such as parenting, environment, and psychological issues are also involved
3) The use of twins in genetic studies is commonplace. In alcohol research we have found that monozygotic twins have a concordance rate of alcoholism that is
40% to 60% is genetics
different combination's, meaning that they could literally have _________ offspring that are genetically different from each other.
ten million combination's', ten million combination's
9) We say that alcoholism is about __40 to 60_ % environmental and about ___4 to 60__% genes
40 to 60% for both
11) A confound in research is
a nuisance variable that alters your findings, something you weren't expecting or didn't look for.
12) The effect of marriage on the drinking behavior of female twins does the following
Reduces impact on genetic contribution
13) In adoptees with biologic alcoholic parents as compared to adoptees with biologic parents without alcoholism, the following effect on marital trouble (numeric change) occurs [in other words, adoptees with biologic alcoholic parents experience the issue at the rate below]
14) In adoptees with biologic alcoholic parents as compared to adoptees with biologic parents without alcoholism, the following effect on job trouble (numeric change) occurs [in other words, adoptees with biologic alcoholic parents experience the issue at the rate below]
15) In adoptees with biologic alcoholic parents as compared to adoptees with biologic parents without alcoholism, the following effect on drinking treatment (numeric change) occurs [in other words, adoptees with biologic alcoholic parents experience the issue at the rate below]
goes up by 16x
16) In adoptees with biologic alcoholic parents as compared to adoptees with biologic parents without alcoholism, the following effect on lifetime alcoholism rates (numeric change) occurs [in other words, adoptees with biologic alcoholic parents experience the issue at the rate below]
It Triples the risk (3x)
18) Alcoholics may have a genetically transmitted faulty enzyme which impairs the metabolism of alcohol (t or f)
True impairs the metabolism
19) Alcoholics may have a genetically induced _______________ response to alcohol, which may make them more susceptible to heavier drinking habits.
20) Some inherited aspects of _________________ functioning (brain) may be different in alcoholics.
21) People of ___________________ descent have flushing syndrome which leads to____________ rates of abstinence among this group.
Asian, Higher rates of abstinence
22) Only ____ percent of __________ alcoholics have the flushing response, indicating that this one factor can reduce alcohol dependence risk.
23) The sons of alcoholics tend to have a _________________ reaction to alcohol than males who did not have an alcoholic parent.
24) Having inherited the genetics for alcohol dependence risk, male children of alcoholics will get earlier and more severe warning signs of intoxication than make children of non-alcoholics.(t or f)
25) Because there is basis to state that alcoholism is a disease, clients are_________responsible for treating their disease
Alcohol and Drug Research studies tend to be ____________ in nature when working with human subjects
The phrase correlation does not equal causation means
just because 2 things are correlated doesn't mean it causes the other
Per capita consumption of alcohol in the United States is based on sampling adults aged 14 and over. From these studies we can state that the average consumption in the United States currently is about
2.5 gallons a year
People tend to drink ______________ alcohol when there is national stress such as war or recession
The country with the lowest per capital consumption of alcohol according to your text in 1990 was
The country with the highest per capital consumption of alcohol according to your text in 1990 was
When reading research tables, one should not only note the highest and lowest numbers in the tables, but
why these numbers are high and low
Per capita consumption of alcohol varies by region in the United States. Reasons for these differences might include
Religous background, cultural context
A light drinker is defined in the text as consuming less than ______ drinks per week
Less than 3 a week
What percentage of Americans are considered non-drinkers, approximately?
50% are considered non drinkers
The number of suicide deaths associated with alcohol use in the United States is at least 36%. (t or f)
True, it is associated with alcohol
Since the drinking age went from 19 to 21 in most states in 1984 we can state for certain that
The increased drinking age is the only factor in the reduction of the number of alcohol related highway deaths in those under the age of 21 (t or f)
False, it's not the only factor
More people die at this time of the month from alcohol related problems than any other time in the United States
At the beginning because they get their pay checks
The majority of alcohol clients have a co-occurring or mental health disorder (t or f)
True, most of them at least 50%
When an alcohol client has a co-occurring or mental health disorder along with the alcohol problem, the proper treatment is
Treat both at the same time
Around what percentage of those who consume alcohol will develop a problem with alcohol in their lifetime?
20%, 1 out of 5 people will have a problem
Women are more likely to have severe alcohol problems than men (t or f)
False, women are not more likely than men
The age group with the highest level of alcohol problems in the United States according to your text is
18 to 29
Different ethnic groups have different addiction problems and different levels of alcohol problems (t or f)
True, diff. ethnic groups have diff. addiction problems
Alcohol use problems that become lifetime issues usually start before (age/grade)
age 15 / 8th grade
Non-binge drinkers in college tend to have ____________ problems than binge drinkers in college
Non-binge drinkers have less problems
According to the research, the grade(s) in which 21.7 %, or the largest number of people began drinking is:
7th and 8th grade
Those who drank the greatest amount of alcohol at a young age (say 16) were also those that were most likely to be the heaviest drinkers in late adolescence (say age 23) (t or f)
True the earlier you start the more likely you will be a heavy drinker
Good adjustment and good coping skills lead to increased social skills which actually increase the risk of heavy drinking later in life (t or f)
Anti-social behavior (being mean to other children, parents and animals) is implicated in adult alcoholism (t or f).
Which set of traits in adolescence is shown to be a risk factor in alcoholism later in life:
all of the above
Mothers of frequent users of alcohol and abstainers (the two extremes) were shown to be the following:
tend to be cold and unresponsive and under protective (negligent)
Married males have lower alcohol consumption rates and lower incidents of alcohol problems overall than single males (t or f).
Married men have lower alcohol consumption rates so this is true
The stability of drinking patterns has been shown to be the most consistent in this age group of males:
Middle aged males, because of careers
Subjects of Italian descent have the highest rate of alcoholism, and subjects of Irish descent have the lowest rate of alcoholism (t or f).
False, Irish have the highest rate of alcoholism
Intense conflict in the home has the following impact on alcoholism in children:
Conflict will increase alcoholism
College abusers of alcohol tend to have the following pattern of drinking if they
People drink less and less-Swing in and out of problematic drinking
The majority of alcoholics have a(n) ________________pattern of drinking over
their adult (after age 14) lifetimes:
unstable pattern of drinking
Married alcoholic men have a death rate of _______ times the rate of married nonalcoholic
3.64 x more
As alcohol dependence progresses, one hallmark is increasing
__________________. (note this is in the table on page 128 and is covered in lecture... I
will not respond to questions about this question, it is one you will have to find)
attempts of sobriety
There is a high remission of alcohol problems in older men. (t or f)
True, older men do have a high remission of alcohol problems