Upgrade to remove ads
Elements of Baking Pies
Pie doughs and techniques for pie fillings,
Terms in this set (8)
What are the ingredients for making a standard pie crusts/temperatures?
Classic American 3-2-1
Pastry flour, shortening or butter,salt and cold water. Water should be chilled at 40For iced and shortening chilled at 40-60 F
What method is used to make a flaky pie dough?
For a flaky pie dough ,the fat is rubbed into the flour until the particles of shortening are the size of peas or hazelnuts. The flour is not completely blended with the fat and the fat is left in pieces..When water is added,the flour is absorbs it and develops some gluten. When the dough is rolled out , the lumps of fat and moistened flour are flattened and become flakes of dough separated by layers of fat.
What method is used to make a mealy dough ?
For a mealy dough ,the fat is blended into the flour more thoroughly , until the mixture looks like course cornmeal. The more complete coating of the flour with fat has three results:
*The crust is very short and tender because less gluten can develop.
*Less water is needed in the mix because the flour won't absorb as much as in flaky dough.
* The baked dough is less likely to absorb moisture from the filling and become soggy.
What crusts are mealy and flaky doughs used ?
Mealy dough is used for bottom crust, especially in baked fruit pies and soft custard type pies.because it resists sogginess.
Flaky doughs are used for top crusts and sometimes for prebaked pie shells.
What procedure is used for the Cooked Juice Method?
1. Drain the juice from the fruit.
2. Measure the juice and ,if necessary,add water or other fruit juice to bring to desired volume.
3. Bring juice to a boil
4..Dissolve the starch in cold water and stir it into the boiling juice. Return to a boil and cook until clear and thickened..
5.Add sugar,salt and flavorings.Stir until dissolved.
6 Pour the thickened juice over the drained fruit and mix gently. Be careful not to break or mash the fruit.
What is the procedure for the Cooked Fruit Method?
1. Bring the fruit and juice or water to a boil. Some sugar can be added to the fruit to draw out the juices.
2. Dissolve the starch in cold water and stir into the fruit. Return to a boil and cook until clear and thickened. Stir while cooking.
3. Add sugar,salt,flavorings and other ingredients. Stir until dissolved.
4. Cool as quickly as possible.
What procedure is used for the Old-Fashioned Method?
1.Mix the starch and spices with the sugar until uniformly blended.
2. Mix the fruit with the sugar mixture.
3.Fill the unbaked pie shells with the fruit.
4. Place lumps of butter onto the filling.
5. Cover with top crust or streusel and bake.
What techniques are used for pastry creams
1.In a sauce pan dissolve sugar in the milk and just bring to boil.
2. With a whip. beat egg yolks and whole eggs in stainless steel bowl.
3. Sift starch , sugar into eggs . Beat with the whip until perfectly smooth.
4. Temper the egg mixture by slowly beating in the hot milk in a slow steady stream.
5. Return the mixture to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
6. When the mixture comes to a boil and thickens remove it from the heat.
7. Stir in butter and vanilla
8. Pour filling into baked pie shells when cool.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
NTDT201 - Pies and Pastries (ch 24)
Nutrition 205 Chapter 24 Pastries and Pies
Eggs soups salads desserts
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Food prep professional cooking 1 stp
Culture and Media
Introduction to Sociology