5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- connotative meaning
- a comprises informal words often understood only by others in a particular group
- Can differentiate in - group and out group members
- can also alienate outsiders
- b violates expectations
- c implications of words
- d the positivity or negativity of an emotion
- e leads you to feel that you are better than someone else- the most harmful emotion in an interpersonal relationship
5 Multiple choice questions
- people see the world differently because we speak different language.
- to repay favors
ex. if you lend me your car I will buy you dinner
- all meaning behind words is assigned by the users of the language
language can be arbitrary because it is symbolic
one exception is onomatopoeia: buzz, click, meow, boom, snap
- the idea that language influences the ways members of a culture see the world.
- joyful and affectionate
sad and anxious
5 True/False questions
illustrators → a gesture that enhances or clarifies a verbal message
influences on emotional experiences → 1. culture ex. latin america vs. US
2. geography ex south vs north
3. co-cultures ex. military
disgust: → A feeling of revulsion in reaction to something offensive---or someone?
syntactic rules → definition, implications, or interpretations of statements
Use of space → is a form of profanity meant to degrade or intimidate people based on their sex, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, disability status, or political or moral views.