5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Commodore Perry
- Beginning of the Meiji
- Millard Filmore
- Kanghwa Treaty
- Hong Xiuguan
- a After Japanese missions in 1868, 1875 and 1876 fail, in 1876 Japan sends in warships to Inchon to force this treaty
- b President during the time of the end of the Tokugawa, sent Commodore Perry to Japan.
- c Jan 3, 1867, Meiji beings. Literally means: enlightened rule. in 1868 the Emperor removes all Shogun land and Tokyo becomes the new eastern capital.
- d Fought in the Mexican War. He lead 4 big black vessels to Edo Harbor. attempted to deliver a letter to open up trading ports with Japan. The letter was accepted in 1853
- e Born Jan 1, 1814 in Southern Guangdong. was educated but didn't do well on exams. Founder of the Kingdom of heavenly peace. He found a translated pamphlet for Christianity and converted. he gathered 52 minority groups throughout China including the fujian, fukien, and hakka.
5 Multiple choice questions
- In Shanghai the english and french didn't want to let them in out of fear of being killed. and formed the "Ever-Victorious" army with American Frederick Ward as the leader.
- 1840-1842 first opium war. too many extra-territoriality issues.
The most favored nation benefits from trade.
1856-1860 China starts the second opium war (anglo-chinese war) and loses to Britain+France
-China wanted to strengthen its military, navy, education and Gov
- First and last foreign colony in China that was first settled by the Portuguese and overseen by them, used for trading and other business.
- started 1664 under queen Elizabeth and ruled until 1858. They traded gunpowder and opium for cotton, silk and tea. They started off in Kolkotta and moved to Mumbai. They eventually placed a government in India instead of ruling from England
- A small part of Malaysia.
5 True/False questions
Japanese Treaties → 1854: Treaty of Kanagawa with US, opened Shimoda and Hakodate
1854: treaty with Britain, 1855: Treaty with Russia/Dutch
Battle of Plassey → The area where the British fought the Indians and French 4400 to 50,000 and won.
Ming Dynasty → Born Jan 1, 1814 in Southern Guangdong. was educated but didn't do well on exams. Founder of the Kingdom of heavenly peace. He found a translated pamphlet for Christianity and converted. he gathered 52 minority groups throughout China including the fujian, fukien, and hakka.
Treaty of Nanjing → Aficionado of antiquities or things of the past, collecting relics, deliberately growing inward and becoming cut off.
How did the Taiping help end the Qing → -Encouraged an anti-manchu sentiment.
-Inspired Sun Yat Sen
-Peasant based uprising, inspired Mao Zedong
- Supporters of Mao supported Taiping