5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Taiping Rebellion
- Pre-Opium War Facts
- Shuufeld Treaty
- Zhu Yuan Zhang
- a 1882, China forces Korea to open ports to everyone. This causes many Korean rebellions and other powers take full advantage before the Sino-Japanese war.
- b in 1842 there were 5 treaty ports
Shanghai was one of them, between 1845-1858 trade increased
in 1820 to 1830 more than 7 million more taels of silver left china
The silver to copper ratios were horrible
- c Also known Hongwu Emperor, he started the Ming Dynasty after claiming to have the Mandate of Heaven. He was a part of the Red Turbans and lead peasant uprising to defeat Mongols.
- d On Jan 11, 1851, there was a formal declaration of revolution. It lasted for 14 years and involved the Hakka
- e A small part of Malaysia.
5 Multiple choice questions
- 1849 Gold Rush sent Chinese to California during the Taiping Rebellion.
- Trading port called Deshima traded with China, Philippines and America, but in the beginning only the Dutch
- First and last foreign colony in China that was first settled by the Portuguese and overseen by them, used for trading and other business.
- 1490's, gave rise to patronage (padrodros) This basically means Spain went one way, Portugal went the other. and connected the 3 oceans through the use of silver.
- Japanese Gov is overspending, people losing faith. People did not like dealing with foreign powers.
-He did not consult the emperor on his decision, disrespected the symbolism. 1866 Shogun dies and Keiki who takes over gives power to the emperor
5 True/False questions
Chinese Exclusion Act → Born Jan 1, 1814 in Southern Guangdong. was educated but didn't do well on exams. Founder of the Kingdom of heavenly peace. He found a translated pamphlet for Christianity and converted. he gathered 52 minority groups throughout China including the fujian, fukien, and hakka.
Lord Mc Carthney → 1849 Gold Rush sent Chinese to California during the Taiping Rebellion.
Extra Territoriality → When an international nation is exempt from local law. Examples of this are France in Vietnam, and US in Japan.
Important dates of the Taiping Rebellion → 1850, Qing paid little attention
Taipings grew their hair long to show rebellion
in 1853 captured the southern capital
1856: Nanjing purge, taipings started killing each other to be rid of successors
Hong Xiuguan → Qing: 1644 - 1911