Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (10)
when did the taliban take control of afghanistan?
1996 - after soviet supported leader is overthrown in 1992
- with help of support from US
how did osama bin laden form Al Qaeda?
- was influenced when he went to join the conflict in Afghanistan
- wanted to build an org to fund afghan arabs
- didn't want it to fall apart with the end of the war
what are Al Qaeda's views?
- sunni islam
- usa is the root of all problems (support for Israel, troops in holy lands, policy towards iraq
- purify the muslim world by attacking the head of the snake, the US
who is ayman al zawahiri?
- leader of egyptian islamic jihad
- merged his org with bin laden in afghanistan
- became bin laden's #2, currently the leader
what happened during the sudan years?
- 91-96, AQ headquartered in sudan
- hosted by islamist government
- set up elaborate network
- bought weapons
- SA revoked Bin Laden's passport
- pressure in sudan leads to bin laden's expulsion
what was "jihad against jews and crusaders"?
- fatwa issued by bin laden
- 3 complaints
1. us occupation of SA
- US attacks on muslim states
- US support for israel
- killing americans is the duty of every muslim
what is the first prominent AQ bombing against the US?
AQ bombs US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in August 1998
- kills 200
who is khalid sheik mohammed?
mastermind behind WTC bomcbing
- conceived of other plots
- thought of 9/11 plot, sold idea to bin laden and planned it under bin laden's direction
- captured 2003 in pakistan
why was mohammed atta significant?
- studied engineering in germany (western)
- self radicalized with 3 friends
- selected for plans operation
- traveled to US for flight training
- was intelligent and fit right into western society
what is the conclusion about al qaeda?
-AQ build upon previous ideas of jihad
- extremely ambitious in its global vision (direct attacks on US)
- conceived of tactical plans to spark mass casualties
Other sets by this creator
American Legal History Quiz #1
Foreign Policy 359 Midterm
the costs of terrorism
does terrorism work?
Other Quizlet sets
Chapter 2 Annex B
an inconvenient truth
Sexual and Affectional Orientation