Upgrade to remove ads
East Asian Art Hum Final Terms
Terms in this set (19)
Juran, Buddhist Monastery by Streams and Mountains
didn't want to work under the new mongol rule
A style of painting that reflects the taste of the educated class of East Asian intellectuals and scholars. Aspects include an appreciation for the antique, small scale, and an intimate connection between maker and audience.
Four Great Masters of Yuan
Zen, sudden enlightenment
In Chan and Zen Buddhism, a question that cannot be answered logically
A technique used to test consciousness and bring awakening.
creative imitation - take previous model to next level
Album of Landscapes, in the stye of Ni Zan
Seen in Chinese models, depictions of earthy mountains
Mi Fu (1051-1107) Cloudy Mountains.
- Northern Song literati painter - rejected realism
Dong Qichang. Album of Landscapes
Edo period - clearly stratified society
1. Samurai - took advantage of Confucianism - stressed loyalty, obedience, etc.
4. Merchants - became wealthy because of...
Sankin kotai - alternate-residence policy - daimyos had to live in Edo
poetry painting scroll
Shubun, Reading in the Bamboo Studio
15th century, Muromachi period, Japan, Ink on paper
gardens that use sand or fine gravel in place of water, raked
dripping/pooling ink stain technique
Sotatsu, Waves at Matsushima
topographical, based on real life
Jeong Seon, General View of Mount Geumgang
18th century, Joseon dynasty, Korea
Ink and light colors on paper
saturate more ink on one side of brush
Maruyama Okyo, Pine Trees in Snow
applied color to both sides of silk → more vivid
Ito Jakuchu, Insects and Reptiles at a Pond
Edo paintings depicting impermanent pleasure, transient beauty
- Class system: warriors/samuraim Farmers, Artisans and craftsmen, Merchants and traders
- Vessels brought servants to Edo → economy of Edo developed a lot
- Many single men → licensed pleasure quarters, entertainment business
- Ukiyo = Living in the moment, hedonism
parody - transposition of classical/ancient themes into modern
new Korean still lifes
- Desire of acquiring comprehensive knowledge "books and things"
- Korean monarchs regulated production of books → intense Korean passion for limited books
- King Jeongjo - frugal ruler, condemned material possessions, just books
- Linear perspective, phenomenal realism
- 17-19c - Western ideas + technology introduced to Korea
- Dubaoeji - Prototype for chaekgeori - Chinese displayed objects in physical bookshelves
- In China, bookshelves were used for backgrounds, not independent subject matter
a style of Japanese painting that is characterized by native subject matter, stylized features, and thick bright pigments
Deer scroll, Sotatsu and Koetsu
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Art History Chapter 26 Stokstad
Art History II(Dr. Schwarz)-Exam 3
ARTH 111 Exam Two Vocabulary
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
20c Art Midterm
East Asian Art Hum Final IDs