Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
FInal EXAm(Quiz 2-Quiz 4 and Chapter 14/15)
Terms in this set (53)
True or False?
Hospital inpatient admissions to community hopistals nationally continue to increase?
Hospital Inpatient days per 1000 persons are increasing nationally?
True or False?
Hospital outpatient visit to community hospitals nationally continue to increase?
Community hospitals performs more inpatient surgeries than outpatient? True or false
The Average length of stay in community hospitals is about 5.5days, true or false?
Around 30% of hospitals lose money on their operations
Community hospitals on average have about 20% total margin ?
Hospitals income from investments and other non-operating gains as a percent of net revenue is about 10%
There are about 3 active physicians per 1,000 persons in the U.S.
Nurse RNs make up about one third of total hospitals FTEs
Over 50% of Nurses are over 50 years old
The projected shortage of nurses by 2020 is about 50,000
Over 50% of physicians are over 50
Describe thee elements necessary for an organization to be successful at population health management ?
1. To have a specific population to serve
2. Be a Clinically integrated network,
3. A specific infrastructure to support this network
What are three dimensions of a population health scorecard that could be used to evaluate the success of population health management efforts?
1. How well their population health is performing relative to others in the market
2. Financially how well they are performing based on set prices
3. The amount of recidivism rates from that community
What are three functions of knowledge management?
1. To uphold security of data
2. To ensure the validity of data
3. Maintaining communication for daily operations
What are the nine steps in the consultancy/project analysis and planing cycle?
Step 1: Understand the assignment.
Step 2: Ask Questions
Step 3: Collect Data/Information
Step 4: Analyze and diagnose
Step 5: Generate Alternatives
Step 6: Analyze the Alternatives
Step 7: Present and Get approval
Step 9: Evaluate and adjust
Describe a medical foundation (1206(I)), and a couple of its key requirements and name three orgnazarion that have one?
A hospital who contracts with medical groups to provide services but then those MD's grow in number and begin to act as non-profit medical foundations
Requirements; 2/3 of physicians have to be full-time
-40 or more Mds
- Have to have at least 10 different services
Examples: Kaiser, California Health Care Foundation, and Huntington Medical
Describe thee main issues that Human Resources faces in a Health Care Organization?
1. Preceived Fairness of compensation
2. Lack of funding
3. Consistent leadership
What are the three main functions of Human Resources in a HCO?
1. To uphold the maintenance of the workplace
2. To design the workplace so that all people can excel
3. To empower and feel supported enough to provide quality work
What are three main functions of the Environment of Care in a health Care Organization?
1. Facilities maintenance
2. Guest Services
3. Materials Management Services
What are three types of budgets that finance oversees in a healthcare organization?
1. Financial Budget
2. New Programs Budget
3. Operations Budge(aggregate/Accountability)
What are the three departments that report to the Chief Financial Officer?
2. Internal Auditor(really reports directly to the board)
3. Associate financial officer
What are the four Ps and how do they relate to healthcare?
They broadly resemble the functions marketing has in health care.
Place-urgent care (geographic areas), accessibility
Product-Physician,Insurance, Service, outpatient service
Promotion-what activities bring the opportunity to the attention of the stakeholders
e..g you place urgent cares in low income neighborhoods/ where a lot of cars will pass by.
What is the purpose of marketing
to identify, evaluate, and respond to changes in stakeholder needs
What are three functions of Marketing ?
1. Developing brand and
2.Listening to exchange
3. Managing other stakeholder
What are some operational measures of Marketing success?
2. Associate satisfaction
3. Market Share
Managerial Issues with Marketing
1. Multi hospital system contribution
2. Strategic Leadership Requirements
3. Skills for Successful Strategy
What are the four main component teams in healthcare organizations?
Clinical support team
Logistical support team
Strategic support team
What are the there major foundations of excellence ?
1. Cultural Leadership
2. Operational Leadership
3. Strategic Leadership
What is the purpose of cultural leadership?
To implement transformative leadership tactics to create an environment that motivates and empowers associates
What are three functions of cultural leadership?
1. to improve the quality of care through increasing the buy-in of health care providers with the corporate mission
2. to create a culture that maintains/ attracts good health care providers
3. to establish a set of standards for associates when it comes to the expectations of their interactions with the community
What is the purpose of operational leadership?
To create an infrastructure that continuously improves the wide array services that are provided
Name three functions that sustain operation leadership ?
1. Maintaining legal requirements
2.Measuring and Evaluating clinical outcomes and management outcomes
3. Surveys that come annually that report each operations needs and what was given.
What are three main risks to high performing HCOs?
1. Physician Burnout
2. Physician Shortages
3. Lack of Nurses
4. Ensuring quality of care is equal throughout the entire organization
What are thee main functions of the governing board?
1. To Maintain Managerial efficiency through choosing the CEO
2. Implementing and establishing the core values/culture of the HCO
3. Ensure Quality of Care through pushing for the implementation of quality based initiatives
What are five major provisions of the Affordable Care Act
1. To Expand Medicaid by providing it to more people though opening the age range for enrollees
2. The Individual Made which required every U.S. citizen and legal residents to be enrolled in health insurance
3. Support initiatives that aim to minimize the costs of health care in general
4. Premium Subsidies which reduced the cost of health insurance for those who report income below the poverty line
5. Essential benefits- making emergency, hospitalization, ambulatory services and more a must for HCO's to provide for people
in the New Health Care CEO effective leaders need to be
1. Agile learners, Financially focused, Matrix Managers, Data Driven, A change champion, clinically competent
2. furthermore to be an agile learner it means you have to be able to adjust quickly to the demands of society. While a matrix manger is someone who can communicate and coordinate goals alongside diverse amount of peers.
What are the three. primary hurdles to meeting organizational strategic priorities according to the Stuart Spencer leadership survey?
1. Overcoming cultural barrios in collaboration with one another
2. The lack of talent in the current workforce
3. Getting Physicians to buy-in and engage more with the HCO
A.The percentage of the American Population that Medicaid covers is about 5, 10, 20, or 30%
B.The percentage of Hospitals participating in ACOs is closest to
C. The percent of uninsured in 2017 rose to about
D. Nationally about how many people are insured by the health exchange ?
E. Twelve percent of the population have 5 or more chronic disease and are responsible for what overall percentage of health care spending?
What are three reasons why hospitals have formed the California model for physician integration called medical foundations?
1. Expand physician network
2. Reducing costs by integrating network
3. Improving Population health
Describe five major trends that affect the strategies and success of healthcare organizations?
1. Culturally competency
2. Shift to value based care
3. Population health driven
4.maintaining low costs
5. Physican buy-in and engagement
What is the purpose of internal consulting ?
To provide information , forecasts, tools and analyses in support of evidence-based management
3 Functions of Internal Consulting
Environmental Assessments, Statistical Analysis, legal and ethical review
Performance Measure of Internal Consulting
Human Resources, Cost, Productivity
What are the four key positions that normally report to the CEO and are members of the c-suite?
Chief of Operations Office
Vp of health affairs
Chief of Nursing
Office of Quality Management
Purpose of Clinical Staff Organization is
to provide excellent care through meeting the needs of every patient and incorporating it into the organization as a whole
Describe IPA and its purpose?
Independent practice association. Its purpose is to give a network of physicians the ability to act as one entity in contracting with HMOs to provide more options to patients who are in provide in-network care
What are three main reasons why hospitals in California need physician/hospital alignment?
1. To ensure the quality fo care is maintained while keeping costs at a minimum
2. to minimize the wait times and the timeliness of each provided service
3.Reduce recidivism rates by meeting predetermined hospital benchmarks
What are three things that you need to know about each of your direct reports to manage them well?
1. How they learn
2. what their strengths are
3. How to trigger those strengths
What is the most important trigger for performance ?
Which of the following are true?
Government,Medicaid, and Medicare combined pay for 30% of healthcare costs.
Individual out of pocket costs are about 10% of health care costs
Private insurance pays for 33% of health care costs
Private insurance covers more than two thirds of one population?
The Majority of hospitals are in health systems
Which one is correct for the following?
Annual health expenditures are closest to
4.5 trillion, 3.5 trillion, 2.5 trillion
Annual per capita health expenditures are about
10,000, 15,000, 20,000
The percent of people that are uninsured is about 20,10,5%
The percent of Medicare beneficiaries that are enrolled in Medicare Managed care is closest to:
Sets found in the same folder
PPD 413 Final Exam
PPD 413 Final Exam
PPD 413 Quiz #4
Sets with similar terms
HSCI 314 Ch 9-17 Final Prep Study Guide
Healthcare System Exam 3 Chapter 12 to f…
HSC 3300 Final Exam
Other sets by this creator
Global Climate Change Notes (Lab)
Practice Exam 2(FINAL)
Lecture Dec 3 Global Anthropogenic Change
Other Quizlet sets
Chapter 15 Quiz, Chapter 14 Quiz
Latin test 4 Story 119