Create an account
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- a virus that causes progressive destruction of the humanimmune system
- fever, sore throat, skin rash(Kaposi's sarcoma), diarrhea, vomiting, pancytopenia, lymphadenopathy
HIV and HTLV transmission
- sexual contact, contaminated blood/ blood products, IV drug abuse, mother to child(in utero), and needle sticks(healthcare workers)
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- is a disease caused by HIV, characterized by an opportunistic secondary infection(s). Patient is immunocompromised and secondary infections cause death.
- common viral pathogen, 50% of adults have contracted it; usually asymptomatic or subclinical. Common cause of congenital defects in infants, pathogenic to immunocompromised patients. affects the lymphocytes and the bone marrow.
CMV symptoms (infants and immunocompromised)
- rash, enlarged liver and spleen. hearing loss and mental retardation in infants.
Respriatory Syncytial Virus (RSV)
- common viral pathogen, affects almost 100% of population by age four, very contagious; causes localized infection of respiratory tract. frequent cause of fatal acute respiratory infections in infants and elderly. Occurs in winter months.
- directly attacks bronchi of lungs and causes necrosis (tissue death; plugs of mucus and dead tissue block airways.
RSV and VZV transmission
- inhalation (respiratory), contaminated formites (inanimate objects), improper handwashing.
Varicella Zoster Virus (VZV)
- causative agent of chickenpox, recurrent cases are called herpes zoster or shingles and usually occur in adults, very contagious.
Human T-cell Leukemia Virus (HTLV)
- causes cancer after a latent period of up to 30 years causing uncontrolled cell growth and/or mutation, causative agent of adult acute T-cell lymphocytic leukemia
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together