5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Hippocratic letters
- Bimaristan (bimar, 'ill person'; stan, place)
- Tatian, Oratio
- Studiolo in the Ducal Palace at Urbino
- a • A reading room inside where there are pictures of all the intellectuals in the world
• Hippocrates is a mark of humanism and intellect
• Not just a lower person who is a practitioner of medicine
- b bimar, "ill person"; stan, place
o Name for Islamic hospital
- c • The ideal physician is Hippocrates
- d ...
- e • Collection of different criticism talking of demons and disease
• Main criticism - playing with term pharmacology - could also mean poison
• In the material world, demons control everything and try to make things confusing so that we don't find God
5 Multiple choice questions
- main criticism was that it came from Greece
• The traditional view was that medicine shouldn't change. There are always new things
• Classifies physicians as being from Greece.
• People who come in are outsiders.
• Coming from outside and ruining us with their ideas. Outsiders are seen as inferior so why should we take their medicine?
• No monolithic view of physicians/medicine
- by this time frame, Methodist not around
- Someone who teachers, doctor of natural philosophy
- People should specialize in certain parts of the body and then go deeper to specialize further.
o There was no systemized thing for it
o Argues that the parts of the body, being critical, saying there were many fields, people, the sects affect how divisions work.
o Unique to big cities
o What about Galen?
• Galen put himself and other learned physicians on top
• Tried to put philosophy/logic in medicine to show a hierarchy.
o Expand the practice of medicine; trainers have expertise but don't really know how the body works.
5 True/False questions
Exegesis of medical works (running commentary and exegetical treatise) Prolegomena → • Precept of beneficence and non-maleficence
• Proscription against euthanasia
• Interdiction of abortion
• Precept of purity and holiness
• Call for competence and specialization
• Precept of sexual continence
• Precept of confidentiality
o Have perceive these as absolute
o Have divorced Hippocrates and Hippocratic oath from history
Hippocrates and the Plague → o A historical figure
• We don't really think of him as the father of medicine
o Medicine today is real science not art
latros → custom/law
Snake of Asclepius → ...
Aelius Aristides (AD 117 - 181) → Life and Virtues of St. Martin, Bishop of Tours
- comes across as idea of experience through the writers eyes.
- go to certain Saints for healings, treated for specific disease.