Upgrade to remove ads
American Literature 1
Terms in this set (14)
What are the four key features of Romanticism?
1. Centrality of imagination - power of human creativity and its superiority to reason
2. Centrality of nature - refuge from artifical societal constructs (solace) and link to the divine
3. Centrality of the self - indiviudalism
4. Symbolism and myth
What was Romanticism a reaction against?
Neoclassicism (logic and emotional restraint) and enlightenment (represented thinking under British control)
What was the purpose of the utopian communities?
Bring principles into everyday life and make time for intellectual pursuits
What are the main features of sentimental literature?
2. Women are domestic reformers
4. Characters reformed by witnessing the suffering of others
What was James Pennington's chattel principle?
The sin was owning another person, regardless of how they were treated
What were the main functions of the slave narrative?
1. Prove equal humanity and capability
2. Prove slaves are reliable narrators
3. Elicit certain effects from the white middle class readership
4. Use testomonies to build a movement to abolish the insitution
What was the problem with the slave narrative?
Objectified slaves - put them on show for political purposes
Made slavery a thrilling and sensation subject
What are the main features of Realism?
1. Present life objectively
2. More focus on complex characters rather than plot
3. Emphasis on versimilitude - appearance of being real/true
4. Detached narration
What are the main features of naturalism?
1. Pessimisstic understanding of human nature - forces that govern human life can be understood (not just like Romanticism where what we cannot understand is just put down to God - scientofic urge to question now Darwin has pointed out evolution)
2. Humans have no free will and are driven by instincts and emotions but these can be scientifically understood (Romantics simply put it down to God)
3. Taboo characters overcoming deterministic world
What is the purpose of Mademoiselle Reisz?
Foil to Ratignolle
Shows what Edna could have become = social outcast (thats why she dies!)
What critic recognised this idea of a bias American canon that missed out AAs and women?
What vocational education did Washington advocate for?
Trade and owning own business will show value of AAs on economy and give greater economic oppurtunity which will eventually lead to social advantages
What three technological developments can be used to explain modernism?
1. 1913: Ford model T was the first vechile to be mass-produced
2. 1903: Wright brothers place
3. 1876: Bell invented the telophone
Who were the key philosophers who transformed thinking at the turn of the century?
1. Friedrich Nietzshe - "God is dead"
2. Marx and Engels - caused revolutions
3. Sigmund Freud - mental health and psychoanalysis
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
MOMM Study Guide 2017-2018
chapter 3-Rome and the Middle Ages
HU102 Midterm: Complete Content
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
American Culture 1
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
Basic foods Ch. 2 Nutritional Needs (multiple chio…
Fundamentals Pain Management (Exam 3)
Quiz 5 - Chpt %
Chapter 13: Bioenergetics and Biochemica…