Lords show up and take over them. and appoint themselves abbots/wives
William the Pious
1) sets up abbey of Cluny
2) free of political influence
3) he set up "The Rule"--no simony and celibacy
1) liturgy-reading list to being a good person-live by simple
2) no feudal stuff
1) multiple Popes @ same time
2) aristocratic families fight over office
3) crazy popes/naughty popes
4) popes not from families
decrees against violence, simony, and clerical marriage
College of Cardinals-priest/clergy from major church in rome
College of Cardinals
1) they get to select the pope
2) get to rule when there is no pope
2)believes church should power over state
3) had probs with Lay investiture
1)Holy Roman Emperor
2) declares Gregory to be a bad person-and needs a new pope
Civil War in Germany
1) Nobles + Priest vs. Henry IV + his bishops
2) Lay investiture does not end
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions above and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.