Create an account
Characteristics of reptile
- reptiles are cold blooded(ectothermic)
- with dry skin; scales
- tetrapods: four legs
- vertebrate, backbone
-lay amniotic eggs
- Have spinal columns and a strong skeletal system with rib cage
-well developed brain and central nervous system
- three chamber hear
Characteristics of crocodillia
- closely related to birds
- alligators, caimans, gharials, and crocodiles
- ventricle of their heart divided into left and right compartments (like mammals and birds)
- demonstrate parental care for young
- found in tropical and subtropical climates
- can obtain lengths of 27 feet
- females build nest to lay eggs
Characteristics of Spenodontia
- lizard like reptile
- only one living genus (tuatara) and only two living species
- tuatara is found in new zealand
- two sub groups: sauria, composed lizards, Serpentes, composed of snakes.
- sauria have eyelids and are able to regrow portions of their tails
- serpent have no eyelids and are deaf, sensitive to vibrations
- both have loosely connected jaw. able to eat things more easily
- members of Squamata are found in all continents expect for Antarctica
fast sprinters, good climbers, can swim. collared lizard. change color in response to their environments
- consist of turtle and tortoises,
-the shell is a modified ribcage and part of vertebral column, can not be removed
- shell is not an exoskeleton
- oldest reptile group date back 215 million years ago
- lay eggs on land, live around water or in water
- protection comes from a shell composed of hard, bone plates covered by scutes
- some are herbivores or carnivores
- peurodira side- necked and cryptodira hidden neck.
- live in water (freshwater, saltwater, ocean, or brackish ponds and marshlands)
- front feet might have fins or webbed toes
- flatter back than tortoises
- more often omnivorous
- live completely out of water, wading into streams.
- feet are hard, scaly, and nubby so it can across sharp rocks and sand
- often have claws to dig burrows
- mostly herbivorous
- shell forms a rounded dome, allowing them to withdraw legs and head for protection
Characteristics of birds
- lay eggs
- feathers. two different types. Down= soft and contour= adapted for flight
- wing appendages, front limbs modified into wings
- warm blooded, endotherimcs
- two scaly legs, used for walking or perching, grabibing (fish)
- sense of direction (internal compass)
- hollow bones
modifications for flight
- highly effcient:
- aerodynamic feathers and wings
-strong chest muscles
- can't hold in waste ( no bowl control)
- light bones: structure, hollow
Characteristics of mammals
- most young are born alive
- they have hair or fur on their bodies
- every mammal is a vertebrate
- mammals produce milk to feed babies
- the lower jaw in mammals is a single bone on either side
- mammals main artery leaving the heart curves to the left becoming the aoritc arch
- mamals have a diaphrgm
- synapsid skulls
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together