5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Universal recipient
- Least common blood type in the US
- a 58% of the plasma proteins. Important in regulation of water movement between tissues and blood. Maintains water balance.
- b made up of plasma, is 8% of the body weight. A type of connective tissue. Important component of the immune system
- c AB negative
- d stoppage of bleeding caused by coagulation of blood, platelet plug formation, and vascular spasm
- e type AB+
5 Multiple choice questions
- Consists of 4 globin molecules that transport carbon dioxide (carbonic anhydrase involved) and nitric oxide; AND 4 heme molecules that transport oxygen (Iron is required for oxygen transport )
- 7% dissolved in the plasma, 23% transported by blood proteins, mostly by hemoglobin. (carbaminohemoglobin), 70% is transported in the form of bicarbonate ions.
- Production of red blood cells. Stem cells form proerythroblasts which become early (basophilic erythroblasts), then intermediate (polychromatics), then late erythroblasts, extrusion of nucleus becomes reticulocytes, normally 1-3%
- Process of blood cell production
- Made by combination of carbon dioxide and water, which is catalyzed by the enzyme carbonic anhydrase. The reversible association -dissociation of hydrogen from carbonic acid is part of the mechanism for regulating the pH of blood. When hydrogen dissociates from carbonic acid it lowers the pH and leaves behind a bicarbonate ion. When it re-associates it raises the pH and becomes carbonic acid.
5 True/False questions
Fibrinogen → introduction of a fluid other than blood, a saline or glucose solution, into the blood
Common pathway → extrinsic and intrinsic pathways converge. Prothrombinase-> prothrombi-> thrombin which converts fibrinogen to insoluble protein fibrin forming a fibrous network of the clot
Agglutination → clumping of the cells caused by antibodies in plasma binding to antigens on surfaces of red blood cells
Monocytes → Immunity, increase due to viral infection, smallest, stimulate production of antibodies
Blood coagulation → Blood clotting, network of threadlike protein fibers called fibrin trap blood cells, platelets, and fluid.Depends on number of coagulation factors. After injury, clotting factors are activated- extrinsic pathway activated, production of activated factor X, Prothrombin formed, converted to thrombin, Fibrinogen converted to fibrin, fabrin clot is stabilized.