5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Most common blood type in the US
- Vascular spasm
- Least common blood type in the US
- a AB negative
- b immediate but temporary constriction of blood vessel resulting form contraction of smooth muscle within the wall of the vessel
- c thrombocytes, minute fragments of cells consisting of a small amount of cytoplasm surrounded by plasma membrane. Derived from megakaryocytes. Form platelet plugs, promote formation and contraction of clots. Have proteins and glycoproteins allowing them to attach to other molecules. Contain actin and myosin
- d O positive
- e deficiency of hemoglobin the blood, results from decrease in RBC, decrease in hemoglobin in each RBC or both.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Transport of gases by hemoglobin without oxygen.
- percentage of total blood volume composed of red blood cells. Normocytes are normal sized, microcytes are smaller than normal, macrocytes are larger than normal
- Plasma=liquid portion, 55% of blood. Formed elements with white blood cells at the top, 45% of blood.
- Develop into monocytes
- rhesus monkeys first studied, people are positive with the Rh antigen, negative without it. People that are positive have D antigens on their red blood cells. Antibodies against the Rh-antigen do not develop unless Rh-negative person is exposed to Rh-positive blood.
5 True/False questions
Eosinophils → Release histamine to increase inflammatory response, and release heparin and anticoagulant, increased due to ALLERGIES or inflammation.
Lymphocytes → Immunity, increase due to viral infection, smallest, stimulate production of antibodies
Erythrocytosis → overabundance of red blood cells
Leukocytes → White blood cells. Protect body against microorganisms and remove dead cells and debris. Movements- Ameboid, Diapedesis, Chemotaxis. Types- neutrophils, eosinophiles, basophils, lymphocytes, monocytes.
Platelet count → accumulation of platelets that can seal up small breaks in blood vessels. Platelet adhesion occurs when platelets bind to collagen exposed by blood vessel damage, activating them (adhesion mediated through von Willebrand factor), platelet release reaction-cascade of chemicals are released by platelets activating more platelets, change shape and express fibrinogen receptors and platelet aggregation occurs