5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- ABO blood group
- Most common blood type in the US
- Functions of blood
- a TRANSPORTS gases, nutrients, waste products, processed and regulatory molecules. REGULATES pH and osmosis. MAINTAINS body temp, PROTECTS against foreign substances. Clot formation.
- b type A blood has type A antigens and Anti-B antibodies. Type B blood has type B antigens and Anti-A antibodies. Type AB has A and B antigens and no antibodies. Type O has no antigens and both A and B antibodies
- c Release histamine to increase inflammatory response, and release heparin and anticoagulant, increased due to ALLERGIES or inflammation.
- d O positive
- e Develop into monocytes
5 Multiple choice questions
- 58% of the plasma proteins. Important in regulation of water movement between tissues and blood. Maintains water balance.
- immediate but temporary constriction of blood vessel resulting form contraction of smooth muscle within the wall of the vessel
- Develop into platelets
- AB negative
- type O-, although can be misleading and transfusion reaction is possible
5 True/False questions
Hematocrit → Consists of 4 globin molecules that transport carbon dioxide (carbonic anhydrase involved) and nitric oxide; AND 4 heme molecules that transport oxygen (Iron is required for oxygen transport )
von Willebrand factor (vWF) → protein produced and secreted by blood vessel endothelial cells, forms a bridge between collagen and platelets by binding platelet surface receptors and collagen
Erythropoiesis → Production of red blood cells. Stem cells form proerythroblasts which become early (basophilic erythroblasts), then intermediate (polychromatics), then late erythroblasts, extrusion of nucleus becomes reticulocytes, normally 1-3%
Formed Elements → Red blood cells (erythrocytes), White blood cells (leukocytes) can be granulocytes or agranulocytes, and Platelets (thrombocytes)
Plasma → deficiency of hemoglobin the blood, results from decrease in RBC, decrease in hemoglobin in each RBC or both.