5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- In order to roll a rock down a hillside, you must first push it up out of the hole in which it rests. Pushing the rock is analogous to the energy of activation of a chemical reaction.
- If there are twelve different intermediate products produced in the stages for production of a molecule in a cell, we can expect that there
A. is one enzyme that carries this process through to the end product.
B. is one enzyme for degradation and another enzyme for synthesis.
C. may not be any enzymes involved if this is a natural cell product.
D. must be twelve different raw materials combined in the cell by one enzyme.
E. are about twelve enzymes, at least one responsible for each step in the metabolic pathway.
- ATP is considered a high-energy compound because under cellular conditions, 7.3 kcal per mole of energy is released when a bond is broken between:
A. the base adenine and the sugar ribose.
B. the adenosine and the phosphate groups.
C. the base adenine and the phosphate groups.
D. the adenosine diphosphate and the third phosphate.
E. All of the bonds release energy as ATP is completely broken down.
- All of the biochemical pathways in a cell constitute
A. coupling reactions.
B. free energy.
C. endergonic reactions only.
D. exergonic reactions only.
- a E. metabolism.
- b E. are about twelve enzymes, at least one responsible for each step in the metabolic pathway.
- c True
- d D. the adenosine diphosphate and the third phosphate.
5 Multiple choice questions
- C. Energy of activation
- B. The reaction will continue, since the enzyme is not consumed by the reaction.
- A. kinetic energy: fat molecules
- C. a muscle contracting
- C. Hydrogen ions are pumped across the membrane by carrier proteins of the electron transport chain.
5 True/False questions
Coupling occurs when the energy released by an exergonic reaction is:
A. used to drive another exergonic reaction.
B. used to drive an endergonic reaction.
C. lost as nonusable heat to the environment.
D. used to decrease the entropy of the universe.
E. All of the choices are correct. → D. All of the choices are correct.
Which of the following labels is incorrectly identified.
A. A refers to the products.
B. B refers to the substrate-enzyme complex.
C. C refers to the reactants.
D. D refers to the product. → D. oxidized; reduced
__________ represents the first reactant of this metabolic pathway and ________ reperesents the endproduct (s) of the pathway?
A. A; E
B. B; E and F
C. A; E and F
D. A and B; D and E → B.http://www.flickr.com/photos/60296733@N06/5514033968/
In this reaction, the reactant (s) are _____________ and the coenzyme NAD is ____________.
A. reduced; oxidized
B. oxidized; oxidized
C. reduced; reduced
D. oxidized; reduced → D. oxidized; reduced
The activity of an enzyme might be increased by all of the following except ________?
A. increase in substrate concentration.
B. a vitamin.
C. 2-4 degree increase in temperature.
D. lead. → D. lead.