5 Written questions
4 Matching questions
- Which of the following is NOT a form of potential energy?
B. water in a dam
C. a muscle contracting
D. All of the choices are not potential energy.
- If a change in pH alters an allosteric site where an inhibitor binds, but doesn't change the active site for the intended substrate, it would be possible for an enzymatically controlled reaction to occur as normal.
- Which form of energy is NOT correctly associated with the related example?
A. kinetic energy: fat molecules
B. kinetic energy: movement of muscles
C. chemical energy: glucose
D. potential energy: water held behind a dam
E. potential energy: ATP
- All of the biochemical pathways in a cell constitute
A. coupling reactions.
B. free energy.
C. endergonic reactions only.
D. exergonic reactions only.
- a C. a muscle contracting
- b True
- c A. kinetic energy: fat molecules
- d E. metabolism.
5 Multiple choice questions
- B. Mitochondria and chloroplasts.
- B. Second Law of Thermodynamics.
- B. used to drive an endergonic reaction.
- D. the adenosine diphosphate and the third phosphate.
- C. Hydrogen ions are pumped across the membrane by carrier proteins of the electron transport chain.
5 True/False questions
If the reaction graphed at right is coupled with D→E, then D →E is:
D. none of the above → A. five
A coenzyme is
A. an ionic cofactor that interacts with an enzyme to allow it to work.
B. a protein cofactor that interacts with an enzyme to allow it to work.
C. a nonprotein organic cofactor that interacts with an enzyme to allow it to work.
D. an ionic cofactor that interacts with an enzyme to inhibit it.
E. a protein cofactor that interacts with an enzyme to inhibit it. → C. a nonprotein organic cofactor that interacts with an enzyme to allow it to work.
Of the following, which process will not denature a protein?
A. heating to temperatures above 100 C
B. addition of strong acids or strong bases
D. addition of distilled water → C. a muscle contracting
From the above table of free energy exchange, it is obvious that
A. photosynthesis and cellular respiration have essentially the same amount of free energy generated or released.
B. free energy is released in all of these reactions except photosynthesis.
C. where the free energy is negative, formation of the products is more likely.
D. All of the choices are true.
E. None of the choices are true. → D. All of the choices are true.
The activity of an enzyme might be increased by all of the following except ________?
A. increase in substrate concentration.
B. a vitamin.
C. 2-4 degree increase in temperature.
D. lead. → D. lead.