5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The activity of an enzyme might be increased by all of the following except ________?
A. increase in substrate concentration.
B. a vitamin.
C. 2-4 degree increase in temperature.
- Which form of energy is NOT correctly associated with the related example?
A. kinetic energy: fat molecules
B. kinetic energy: movement of muscles
C. chemical energy: glucose
D. potential energy: water held behind a dam
E. potential energy: ATP
- Which best describes the second law of thermodynamics?
A. Energy is not created nor destroyed, but it can change into matter.
B. Energy is not created nor destroyed, but it can change from one energy form to another.
C. Energy can be created from matter or used to produce matter.
D. Some useful energy is lost as heat whenever an energy transfer occurs.
E. Energy transfers are always 100% efficient in changing energy from one useful form to another.
- An enzyme is a globular protein that inhibits the formation of chemical bonds within the enzyme's substrate(s).
Identify the graph that depicts the reaction C→D.
- a B.http://www.flickr.com/photos/60296733@N06/5514033968/
- b False
- c D. Some useful energy is lost as heat whenever an energy transfer occurs.
- d A. kinetic energy: fat molecules
- e D. lead.
5 Multiple choice questions
- C. Energy of reactants; Energy of products
- C. a muscle contracting
- E. metabolism.
- D. D refers to the product.
- D. The chemical compounds in cells lose their organization over time because there is no longer an input of energy to maintain the organized state.
5 True/False questions
Energy coupling of endergonic and exergonic reactions within cells
A. permits biological reactions to proceed at temperatures consistent with life.
B. uses heat released by one reaction to fuel the other reaction.
C. utilizes ATP to carry energy between the exergonic and endergonic reactions.
D. All of the choices are correct. → D. All of the choices are correct.
__________ represents the first reactant of this metabolic pathway and ________ reperesents the endproduct (s) of the pathway?
A. A; E
B. B; E and F
C. A; E and F
D. A and B; D and E → B.http://www.flickr.com/photos/60296733@N06/5514033968/
Which of the following is consistent with the laws of physics governing energy?
A. When a liter of gasoline is burned in a car engine, 100% of its energy goes into moving the car along the road.
B. You eat a "quarter-pounder" hamburger and assemble exactly a quarter-pound of additional body weight on your body.
C. Eventually sunlight that is absorbed on the earth returns to space as dispersed heat.
D. A calorie of sunlight becomes a calorie of plant tissue that, eaten by you, becomes a calorie of heat lost in muscle "power."
E. Chemical bonds are a case of converting energy to matter; breaking the bonds converts matter to energy. → C. Eventually sunlight that is absorbed on the earth returns to space as dispersed heat.
In this reaction, the reactant (s) are _____________ and the coenzyme NAD is ____________.
A. reduced; oxidized
B. oxidized; oxidized
C. reduced; reduced
D. oxidized; reduced → D. D refers to the product.
Coupling occurs when the energy released by an exergonic reaction is:
A. used to drive another exergonic reaction.
B. used to drive an endergonic reaction.
C. lost as nonusable heat to the environment.
D. used to decrease the entropy of the universe.
E. All of the choices are correct. → D. All of the choices are correct.