Upgrade to remove ads
PSY 4323-001:exam 1
Terms in this set (28)
The place in the eye with only cones
Name the Principle: Perception is based on representations of stimuli formed on receptors & resulting activity in the nervous system (i.e., proximal stimuli).
Principle of representation
____ operates best under bright conditions or photopic conditions, while _____ operates best under bright conditions or photopic conditions.
Neurons located (closer to/farther from) the retina fire in response to more complex stimuli.
This condition is associated with malfunctioning in the Fusiform Facial Area.
If the eyeball is too long, the light rays will converge before they hit the retina. This is called ______.
Nearsightedness or Myopia
Two types of inputs received from the presynaptic neuron which effect the firing rate of postsynaptic neurons.
Excitation & Inhibition Signals
Day: sensitive to long
Night: sensitive to short
After leaving the retina, 90% of the information message travels to the _____, the remaining 10% travels to the _________.
Lateral Geniculate Nucleus Superior Colliculus
When demonstrating the Mueller-Lyer Illusion, we used an experimental methodology that gave us a measure of the perceived effect of the illusion. What is the name of this methodology?
A unique ability of the lens is that it has the ability to change shape. It gets thicker and thinner to focus objects at different distances. The lens changes shape to be able to bend light the right amount to land on the focal point. This process is called _________.
Cells that respond best to bar of light in certain orientation AND moving in a certain direction.
Complex cortical cells
This simultaneously explains why humans have greater light sensitivity in the periphery of a scene and greater acuity in the center of a scene.
The discovery of _______ ____ answered the question: Where should I place a stimulus if I want to affect a particular neuron "higher up" in the visual pathway?
Acuity tests are scored with a two digit output (e.g., 20/20). Explain this score in terms of distance and visual angle
Top = distance @ which you see stimulus Bottom = distance @ which "normal" sees stimulus.
AP reaches terminal button
Release NT into synapse
NT bind to receptor sites on receiving dendrite
Ion channel opens; message transmission
Describe the process of neuronal message transmission. Include the following terminology:
A - Cell body B - Axon C - Myelin Sheath D - Terminal Buttons
In lateral inhibition, light areas are presumably (more/less) activated and thus send (more/less) inhibitory signal to darker neighboring areas.
A bundle of nerve fibers which leave the eye and carry information to the cortex -the reason for the blind spot in our vision.
Extrastriate Body Area is in the IT cortex)
This is called the Dallenbach cow. When viewing the ambiguous version, most people search the image for data that might reveal what is in the image. These people are said to be using _______ processing.
LABEL THE CELLS IN THE RETINA
Rod, Cone, Bipolar Cell; Ganglion Cell
Over the years, we've accumulated a lot of evidence for the role of feature detectors in vision. Name 2 sources of support we've discussed in class
Selective Adaptation Selective Rearing
After about 7-10 minutes in the dark, the rods actually surpass the cones in sensitivity. That is called ________.
The rod cone break
This small area of the fovea accounts for a large area on the cortex. What term describes this arrangement?
What are the (7+1) stages of the perceptual process?
1) Stimulus in environment 2) Light reflected & focused 3) Receptor Processes 4) Neural Processing 5) Perception 6) Recognition Rod, Cone, Bipolar Cell; Ganglion Cell Selective Adaptation Selective Rearing The rod cone break Cortical Magnification 7) Action +1) Knowledge
What is transduction?
The transformation of one form of energy to another form.
Any information that the perceiver brings to a situation.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Sensation and Perception
Cognitive Psychology: Visual Perception
PSYX 354 Chapters 1-3
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
jeopardy test 3 rtl 2340
Physical Science Test 2
REL 3170 MIDTERM