Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Nutrition Ch. 14
Terms in this set (20)
The Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) identifies all of the following as dimensions of food security EXCEPT
Nutrition security exists when all of the following conditions but one are met
Access to food is sufficient for nutrition security
2. Individuals must consume and utilize the food they need.
3. A variety of nutrient-dense food is consistently available in sufficient quantities to meet dietary needs and food preferences.
4. A sanitary environment and adequate healthcare are vital to nutrition security.
Which continent has the highest prevalence of severe undernutrition?
Food insecurity is associated with all of the following EXCEPT:
1. poverty caused food insecurity for more than 41 million Americans in 2016
2. Poor psychological and cognitive functioning
Decreased chronic disease risk
4. Substandard academic achievement
All of the following statements regarding malnutrition are true EXCEPT
1. undernourishment refers only to inadequate energy intake.
2. malnutrition includes undernourishment, undernutrition, and overnutrition
inadequate protein intake is the only cause of malnutrition in developed countries.
4. undernutrition refers to insufficient consumption or use of energy and/or essential nutrients.
Which of the following correctly identifies two countries that have a prevalence of obesity in adults that is at or above 30%?
Egypt and Saudi Arabia
The U.S. government funds several nutrition assistance programs that provide food to reduce the risk of malnutrition. Which of the following programs is the largest?
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Wasting is an indicator of undernutrition in children and characterized by all of the following EXCEPT
1. caused by acute food shortages and/or infections
a low height for age
3. a low weight for height
4. increased risk of disease and death
All of the following statements regarding overnutrition are true EXCEPT:
1. "hidden hunger" means that an individual consumes enough calories but does not receive all of the required micronutrients.
overnutrition has no adverse health effects.
3. overnutrition affects more people worldwide than does undernutrition.
4. overnutrition and undernutrition can coexist in the same household.
A sustainable food system requires all but one of the following:
1. preserving biodiversity, water and soil quality
rapid climate change
3. a safe and secure food supply
4. preserving agricultural jobs and providing fair wages
Plant-based diets are more sustainable than diets containing higher amounts of animal products for all of the following reasons EXCEPT:
utilize the same amount of water
2. utilize less energy
3. produce fewer greenhouse gas emissions
4. utilize less land area
Which food releases the most kg of greenhouse gas emissions per kg of food during production?
Consumers can improve the sustainability of their diets in all of the following ways EXCEPT:
1. avoid food waste
purchase food from out of state
3. grow their own produce in a garden
4. consume less meat, especially beef
A variety of factors contributing to water shortages include all but one:
1. increased demand or overuse of water
greenhouse gas emission
4. increased pollution
The production of which food item would be most affected by prolonged water scarcity?
Fruits and vegetables
Common genetically modified foods sold in the United States include all but one
Which of the following statements about genetically modified (GM) foods is FALSE:
1. GM foods must meet the same safety, labeling, and other regulatory requirements required by the FDA for all foods.
2. According to the FDA, there is no information indicating that GM foods differ from other foods in any meaningful way.
The FDA requires food manufacturers to state the genetically modified ingredient(s) content on food labels.
4. A GM plant food could produce a protein that is allergenic to some people
The potential benefits of genetically modified foods include all but one of the following:
1. disease- and drought resistant plants
2. increased supply of food
increased susceptibility to some pests
4. increased vitamin content in foods
A frozen Alfredo pasta dinner displaying the USDA Organic seal on its label indicates which of the following
No artificial fertilizers were used to grow the wheat or other ingredients in the product.
All of the following statements concerning the various approaches of food production are true EXCEPT
1. production of genetically modified foods can help reduce food insecurity.
2. GMO foods are not allowed at any level in foods that are certified organic.
organic foods are less often contaminated with pathogens than standard foods.
4. up to 5% of total content of certified "organic" foods can be nonorganic ingredients.
Sets found in the same folder
nutrition final (ch 11, 12,13,14 spotlight D,E,F,G…
BIOL 1322: Chapter 14
NTDT 200 Spotlight D Summative Quiz
NTDT200: Spotlight A Summative Quiz
Sets with similar terms
KPE 490 Chapter 9
Foods & Nutrition Midterm
Nutrition and Diet therapy Chapter 13
Other sets by this creator
Nutrition Ch. 5
Nutrition Ch. 4
Nutrition Ch. 3
Nutrition Ch. 2
Other Quizlet sets
CSI test 2
Philosophy exam 3
Pharmacology Exam 1
Unit 3 online questions