Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (37)
What is the FM concerning the M4 Rifle?
What is the first thing you should do when you handle a weapon?
Make sure you clear it
Name the five phases in Basic Rifle Marksmanship.
1. Preliminary Rifle Instruction
2. Downrange Feedback
3. Field Fire
4. Advanced Rifle Marksmanship
5. Advanced Optics, Laser and Iron Sights
What is the purpose of a weaponeer?
The weaponeer is capable of simulating all of the BRM live fire scenarios without firing rounds. Immediate feedback
is available for critiquing the soldier's application of the integrated act offering while using the weaponeer device to
include misfire procedures.
What are the four fundamentals of marksmanship?
1. Steady Position
2. Proper Aim (Sight Picture)
4. Trigger Squeeze
During Preliminary Marksmanship Training (PMI), what are the only two positions taught?
1. Individual Foxhole supported
2. Basic Prone unsupported
What are the two basic elements of the Sight Picture?
1. Sight Alignment
2. Placing of the Aiming Point
What does the acronym SPORTS stand for?
Slap, Pull, Observe, Release, Tap and Shoot
What is remedial action?
Remedial action is the continuing effort to determine the cause for a stoppage ormal function and to try to clear the
stoppage once it has been identified.
Describe the proper procedures for applying remedial action with the M4.
1. Try to place the weapon on safe
2. Remove the magazine
3. Lock the bolt to the rear
4. Place the weapon on safe if not already done
Describe the proper procedure for applying immediate action with the M4.
1. Slaps gently upward on the magazine to ensure it is fully seated, and the magazine follower is not jammed.
2. Pulls the charging handle fully to the rear.
3. Observes for the ejection of a live round or expended cartridge. (If the weapon fails to eject a cartridge, perform
4. Releases the charging handle (do not ride it forward).
5. Taps the forward assist assembly to ensure bolt closure.
6. Squeezes the trigger and tries to fire the rifle.
What are the steps required in order to mechanically zero the M4?
1. Adjust the front sight post (1) up or down until the base of the front sight post is flush with the front sight post
2. Adjust the elevation knob (3) counterclockwise, when viewed from above, until the rear sight assembly (4) rests
flush with the detachable carrying handle and the 6/3marking is aligned with the index line (5) on the left side of the carrying handle.
3. Position the apertures(6) so the unmarked aperture is up and the 0-200 meter aperture is down. Rotate the windage
knob (7) to align the index mark (8) on the 0-200 meter aperture with the long center index line on the rear sight
What are the steps required in order to battle sight zero the M4?
1. Adjust the elevation knob (1) counterclockwise, when viewed from above, until the rear sight assembly (2) rests
flush with the detachable carrying handle and the 6/3marking is aligned with the index line (3) on the left side of
the detachable carrying handle. The elevation knob remains flush.
2. Position the apertures(4) so the unmarked aperture is up and the 0-200 meter aperture is down. Rotate the windage
knob (5) to align the index mark (6) on the 0-200 meter aperture with the long center index line on the rear sight
Is SPORTS an Immediate or Remedial Action?
What is immediate action?
Immediate action involves quickly applying a possible correction to reduce a stoppage without performing
troubleshooting procedures to determine the actual cause.(SPORTS)
How many times should immediate action be applied to a weapon?
Once. (If Rifle still fails to fire, apply remedial action)
What is a malfunction?
The weapon ceasing to fire due to a stoppage resulting from mechanical failure of the weapon, magazine or ammo.
Name the different categories of malfunctions for the M4 Rifle.
1. Failure to feed, chamber or lock
2. Failure to fire cartridge
3. Failure to Extract
4. Failure to Eject
What is stoppage?
A stoppage is a failure of an automatic or semiautomatic firearm to complete the cycle of operation.
How do you clear a stoppage?
Apply immediate or remedial action
What is the definition of Maximum Effective Range?
The greatest distance at which a soldier may be expected to deliver a target hit.
What does CLP stand for?
Cleaner - It contains solvents that dissolve firing residue and carbon.
Lubricant - It lays down a layer of teflon as it dries to provide lubrication.
Preservative - It prevents rust from Forming.
Describe the M4 Rifle.
A 5.56 mm, magazine fed, gas-operated, air-cooled, semiautomatic or three-round burst, hand-held, shoulder-fired
What are the 7 types of ammunition that can be used with the M4 Rifle?
1. M193 - Ball
2. M196 - Trace
3. M199 - Dummy
4. M200 - Blank (Violet tip and 7 petal rose crimp)
5. M855 - Ball (Green Tip)
6. M856 - Tracer (Red Tip)
7. M862 - Short Range Training Ammunition (Plastic with a Blue Tip)
Describe the weights of the M4 Rifle without mgazine and sling, with sling and loaded 20 round magazine and with sling and loaded 30 round magazine.
Without Magazine and Sling - 6.49 pounds
With Sling and a loaded 20 round magazine - 7.19 pounds
With Sling and a loaded 30 round magazine - 7.50 pounds
Describe the max effective rates of fire for the M4 Rifle.
Semiautomatic - 45 rounds per minute
Burst - 90 rounds per minute
Sustained - 12-15 rounds per minute
What is the muzzle velocity of the M4 Rifle?
2,970feet per second
Describe the ranges for the M4 Rifle.
Maximum Range - 3,600 meters
Max Effective Range for a Point Target - 500 meters
Max Effective Range for an Area Target - 600 meters
Describe the Barrel Rifling for the M4 Rifle
Right hand twist 1/7
What is the basic load of ammunition for the M4?
210 Rounds total. (7 magazines with 30 rounds in each)
The elevation knob adjusts the point of aim for the M4 Rifle how much?
300 to 600 meters
What is the overall length of the M4 Rifle?
Buttstock Closed - 29.75 inches
Buttstock Open - 33.00 inches
What are the four positions for the buttstock of the M4 Rifle?
2. 1/2 Open
3. 3/4 Open
4. Full Open
What are the 8 steps in the functioning of the M4 rifle?
6. Extract ing
What part of the M4 Rail Adapter System may be removed to perform PMCS?
Only the Lower Assembly
Describe the procedures for clearing the M4 Rifle.
Point the muzzle in a designated SAFE DIRECTION. Attempt to place selector lever on SAFE. If weapon is not
cocked, lever cannot be placed on SAFE.
Remove the magazine by depressing the magazine catch button and pulling the magazine down.
To lock bolt open,pull charging handle rearward. Press bottom of bolt catch and allow bolt to move forward until
it engages bolt catch. Return charging handle to fullforward position. If you have not done so before, place the
selector lever on SAFE.
Visually (not physically) inspect the receiver and chamber to ensure these areas contain no ammo.
With the select orlever pointing toward SAFE, allow the bolt to go forward by pressing the upper portion of the
Place the select orlever on SEMI and squeeze the trigger.
Pull the charging handle fully rearward and release it, allowing the bolt to return to the full forward position.
Place the select orlever on SAFE.
Close the ejection port cover.
How do you perform a functions check on the M4 Rifle?
Place the selector lever on safe. If the selector switch will not go on safe, pull the charging handle to the rear
and release. Place the selector lever on safe. Pull the trigger to the rear, the hammer should not fall.
2. Place the selector lever on semi. Pull the trigger to the rear and hold. The hammer should fall. While holding
the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Release the trigger and pull it to the rear
again. The hammer should fall.
3. Place the selector lever on burst. Pull the charging handle to the rear and release. Pull the trigger to the rear and
hold. The hammer should fall. While holding the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear three
times and release. Release the trigger and pull it to the rear again. The hammer should fall.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Land Nav/Map Reading
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Marksmanship Training FM 3-22.9 Board Questions
(GROUP 1) Army Study Guide - Weapons - M4
Weapons(M16/A2 + M249)(Army Board Study Guide)
Weapons (M4 /M-16 and M9)
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
NCO Duties, Responsibilities and Authority
ARMY Programs - AER
ARMY Programs - ACS
ARMY Programs- ASAP
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
online A, 67 computer fashcards
Musical Theatre Final
Ch. 1 Self-Study Test
Busi 141 Chapt. 13