For high risk patients
* Ambu bag, suction, crash cart, respiratory box, medications
* Give 100% O2 for 3-5 minutes w/ tight fitting mask or ambu bag
* Give adjunct meds like lidocaine, fentanyl, atropine to decrease physiological response to intubation
Paralysis w/ induction
* Within 3 minutes give a sedative agent (etomidate, propofol, ketamine, midazolam) and a paralytic agent (succinylcholine or roxuronium) are given in rapid sequence to achieve induction and paralysis
Protection & positioning
* Neck flexed and head slightly extended. Suction oral cavity, remove dental devices. May apply pressure to cricoid.
Placement of ETT
* Each attempt limited to 30 seconds. Assess for bilateral breath sounds & chest wall movement. ETCo2 detector is placed. Auscultate abd sounds.
Post intubation management
* Note level of ETT insertion (lip line), secure ETT w/ tape or holder.