Upgrade to remove ads
Religion Unit 2
Terms in this set (15)
Why is monasticism on the rise?
- Christianity is legal
- Persecutions are ending
- Groups of Christians seek to follow Jesus in a specific way of life
3 characteristics of monasticism
- separates from society (to live w like minded ppl)
- follow Jesus in radical way (by imitating his way of life)
- make vows
- pagan dad and Christian mom (Monica)
- lived with woman and was dad to Adeodatus
- Converted as adult
- write "rule of life"
- married; Augustine's mom
- Catholic woman in Carthage
- prayed for Augustine to embrace Catholicism
- symbols: handkerchief, tears, open book
Motto of Order of St. Augustine
- "one mind and one heart on the way to God"
Vows for nuns in OSA
poverty, chastity, obedience, enclosure
Male who dedicated himself by vow to the community, God, and the apostolate
- twin sister of St. Benedict
- dedicated life to God at young age
- founder of female Benedictine monasticism (first abbess)
- feast day: feb 10
- symbols: crozier, book of rule for virgins
Prayer and work
poverty, obedience, converso Morum (balanced life, be more Christlike), enclosure
- monastic schedule
- female leader of a monastery
- elected by vote
What kind of nuns in OSB?
- choir (100% enclosure)
- extern (interact w guests, go shopping)
What role does hospitality play in OSB? Does OSA have same focus?
- large role; all guests received as if they're Christ — respect
- no, OSA doesn't have same focus
What is divine office? How is it prayed?
- set of prayers prayed throughout world at different times in the day
- prayed side to side
You might also like...
Living Church Unit 3
Mrs. Catanzaro- Consecrated Life Test
Church History sem.2 Tolcher
Other sets by this creator
Cog Sci 1 Midterm 1
Government: Chapter 2
Religion Quiz Unit 1
Government: Chapter 1
Other Quizlet sets
Exam #3 SG
10. Family, Home, and Society
History Civil Rights movement