Upgrade to remove ads
Terms in this set (22)
What was the most likely cause for the decline of Indus River Valley (Harappan) society after 1900 B.C.?
invasion by aryans
How are the Nile and the Indus rivers similar?
deposit large amounts of silt as they move through the lowlands
Who were the Aryans?
indo-european nomadic peoples who created a new Indian society
Explain India's caste system and its origins.
-created by aryans
-kshatriyas- warriors rulers
-vaisyas- commoners, merchants, farmers
-sudras- peasants, servants
Which empire traded with China, Southeast Asia, and the Mediterranean?
Who was Siddhartha Gautama?
founder of buddhism
According to Siddhartha Gautama, what caused suffering?
attachment to the things of this world
Who is generally considered to be the greatest ruler in the history of India?
What is a major similarity between Hinduism and Buddhism?
both religions accept that souls reach spiritual perfection through a cycle of life, death and reincarnation
List the Four Noble Truths.
1. ordinary life is full of suffering
2. suffering is caused by selfish desire
3. end suffering by ending selfish desire
4. end selfish desire by following middle path
Describe how Buddhism differs from Hinduism.
achieve nirvana w/o going through castes
Give and explain each part of the Eightfold Path.
1. right view- 4 noble truths
2. right intention- decide what we really want
3. right speech- seek to speak the truth and speak well of others
4. right action- do not kill, steal, lie, be unchaste, consume alcohol or drugs
5. right livelihood- work that uplifts our being
6. right effort- steadily look forward to the goal
7. right mindfulness- minds in control of senses
8. right concentration- mediate to see the world in a new way
How do the followers of Theravada see Buddhism?
way of life
Who was the ruler of a Mongol state based in Samarqand?
How do followers of Mahayana Buddhism see Buddha?
a religion with Buddha as a divine figure
What was the main purpose of the East India Company?
When did England gain control of India?
What was the name of the uprising of Indian soldiers against British rule called?
What problems did the British face in India?
1. many profits drained from India go to benefit Britain
2. improvements mentioned were paid for by Indian taxes
3. famines were caused by British production of commercial crops instead of food
4. British manufactured goods sold cheaper than indian hand made goods
5. taxes collected in cash, bad for poor, increase debt and poverty; 6.separation of ruler from ruled- Indians inferior
7. British segregated society
What were the benefits of British rule to Indians?
2. famine relief system
3. new schools for all levels
4. canal system
5. best railroad system
7. equality b4 law
8. public health
9. postal system
10. Pax Britanica
Why were Muslim rulers in India tolerant of Hindus?
too many hindus to convert them all
Identify each of the following: reincarnation, Sanskrit, Indus River Valley (Harrappan), Buddha, Eightfold Path, Nirvana, the Four Noble Truths, karma, Brahma and dharma.
1. reincarnation- belief soul is reborn after death
2. Sanskrit- Aryans 1st writing system
3. Indus river valley- Indians 1st civilization
4. Buddha- enlightened one
5. eight fold path- way to end desire
6. nirvana- end of self/reunion with the great world soul
7. Indus river valley(harappan)- Indias 1st civilization
8. Buddha- enlightened one
9. 4 noble truths - basis of Buddhism
10. Brahma- creator
11. Dharma- Hindu divine law
12. Karma- force generated by a persons actions determine how they return in after life
This set is often in folders with...
Chapter 1 lesson 1
Chapter 1 Section 2
Fertile Cresent Test
Greek History Test
You might also like...
Hinduism, Sikhism, & Buddhism_ANSWERS
Unit 3 history
buddhism- chapter 16
Other sets by this creator
APUSH Native Americans Quiz 8/28
History- 2nd Semester Exam Review
English- 2nd Semester Exam Reveiw
WWI Test Reveiw