The following is a list of the steps that occur in the production of an auditory sensation.
1. The pressure wave distorts the basilar membrane on its way to the round window.
2. Movement of the tympanic membrane causes displacement of the malleus.
3. Displacement of the stereocilia stimulates sensory neurons of the cochlear nerve.
4. Movement of the malleus causes movement of the incus and stapes.
5. Distortion of the basilar membrane forces the hair cells of the organ of Corti toward or away from the tectorial membrane.
6. Movement of the oval window establishes pressure waves in the perilymph of the vestibular duct.
The proper sequence for these steps is