5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- late successional plant species
- threatened species
- game species
- endemic species
- a Mostly trees that can tolerate shade and form a fairly stable complex forest community.
- b Species that is found in only one area. Such species are especially vulnerable to extinction.
- c Generally fixed route along which waterfowl migrate from one area to another at certain seasons of the year.
- d Wild species that is still abundant in its natural range but likely to become endangered because of a decline in numbers.
- e Type of wild animal that people hunt or fish for, for sport and recreation and sometimes for food.
5 Multiple choice questions
- prohibits transporting live/dead animals or their parts across state borders without a federal permit.
- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. Lists (1) some 900 species that cannot be commercially traded as live specimens or wildlife products because they are in danger of extinction and (2) restricts international trade of 29,000 other species because they are at risk of being threatened.
- Plant species found in the early stages of succession that (1) grow close to the ground, (2) can establish large populations quickly under harsh conditions, and (3) have short lives.
- Wildlife species that have actual or potential economic value to people.
- Breakup of a habitat into smaller pieces, usually as a result of human activities.
5 True/False questions
keystone species → Species that is found in only one area. Such species are especially vulnerable to extinction.
ecological extinction → Species no longer found anywhere on earth; forever.
wild species → Species found in the natural environment.
intrinsic value → Value of an organism, species, ecosystem, or the earth's biodiversity based on its usefulness to us.
bioinformatics → Applied science of managing, analyzing, and communicating biological information.