5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- early successional plant species
- Lacey Act of 1900
- wildlife management
- instrumental value
- a prohibits transporting live/dead animals or their parts across state borders without a federal permit.
- b Generally fixed route along which waterfowl migrate from one area to another at certain seasons of the year.
- c Value of an organism, species, ecosystem, or the earth's biodiversity based on its usefulness to us.
- d Plant species found in the early stages of succession that (1) grow close to the ground, (2) can establish large populations quickly under harsh conditions, and (3) have short lives.
- e Manipulation of populations of wild species (especially game species) and their habitats for (1) human benefit, (2) the welfare of other species, and (3) the preservation of threatened and endangered wildlife species.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Species found in the natural environment.
- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. Lists (1) some 900 species that cannot be commercially traded as live specimens or wildlife products because they are in danger of extinction and (2) restricts international trade of 29,000 other species because they are at risk of being threatened.
- Mostly trees that can tolerate shade and form a fairly stable complex forest community.
- Wild species that is still abundant in its natural range but likely to become endangered because of a decline in numbers.
- Process in which numerous new species evolve to fill vacant and new ecological niches in changed environments, usually after a mass extinction or mass depletion. Typically, this takes millions of years.
5 True/False questions
domesticated species → Wild species that is still abundant in its natural range but likely to become endangered because of a decline in numbers.
minimum viable population (MVP) → Estimate of the smallest number of individuals necessary to ensure the survival of a population in a region for a specified time period, typically ranging from decades to 100 years.
midsuccessional plant species → Grasses and low shrubs that are less hardy than early successional plant species.
endangered species → Species that is found in only one area. Such species are especially vulnerable to extinction.
bioinformatics → Species found in the natural environment.