(atherosclerosis): Chronic, occlusive arterial disease of medium and large sized vessels, the result of peripheral atherosclerosis.
- Associated with hypertension and hyperlipidemia; patient may also exhibit CAD, Cerebrovascular disease, diabetes
- Pulses: decreased or absent
- Color: pale on elevation,dusky red on dependency
- Early stages: Intermitten claudication. Pain described as burning,searing,aching, tightness or cramping
- Late stages: Ischemia and rest pain; ulcerations and gangrene, trophic changes
- Affect primarily the lower extremities.