5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- How big was Japan's army by 1890?
- What did Cuba do in 1868? Did this work?
- What did the Treaty of Portsmouth do?
- What is extraterritoriality?
- When did the canal officially open?
- a It was where foreigners were not subject to Chinese laws.
- b 500,000
- c Declared independence from Spain then fought a 10 year war and lost.
- d 1914
- e It forced Russia to stay out of Korea and Manchuria.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Lin Zexu destroyed 20,000 chests which caused the Opium War. The British was winning with its advanced navy and military with attacks but the Chinese didn't sue for peace.
- The built modern shipyards, railroads, weapons industries, steel foundries, and opened science academies.
- Malaria, Yellow Fever, Bubonic Plague, and Extreme Heat
- 475 million people
- Emperor Gangxu launched a sweeping program to transform China into a constitutional monarchy, guarantee civil liberties, root out corruption, remodel the education system, encourage foreign influence in China, modernize the military, and stimulate economic reforms.
5 True/False questions
How did Empress Cixi go against the movement? → She diverted funds intended for the navy to build a marble boat for private garden.
What did the Monroe Doctrine state? → The American continents were closed for further European colonization.
What 3 other countries won trading rights in Japan? → The American continents were closed for further European colonization.
What city did the Taipings capture in 1853? → Hong Xiuqum who was a school teacher
What power did the Chinese gov't give local leaders during the Self-Strengthening movement? → The authority to raise troops, levy taxes, and run bureaucracies.