5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What did the Treaty of Kanagawa do? (4 things)
- What countries had spheres of influence in China?
- How big was Japan's army by 1890?
- What is extraterritoriality?
- How did G.B. finally win the Opium War?
- a Germany, France, G.B., Japan and Russia
- b The British attacked the Grad Canal by going up the Yangtze River which called Chinese gov't to surrender.
- c Granted US trading rights, opened ports, granted foreigners extraterritoriality and Japan lost all rights to place tariffs on goods.
- d It was where foreigners were not subject to Chinese laws.
- e 500,000
5 Multiple choice questions
- Tokugawa opponents won due to the use of militia units trained by foreign experts and armed with imported weapons.
- The Boxers went on a rampage in northern China, killing foreigners and Chinese Christians. Confident that weapons could not hurt them, they besieged foreign embassies in Beijing. The Boxers were quickly crushed by US and European coalition army.
- 1. Colombia demanded more money. The US encouraged Panama to revolt against Colombia.
- 90 ports
- Hong Xiuqum who was a school teacher
5 True/False questions
What city did the Taipings capture in 1853? → Nanjing
Who did the Chinese gov't appoint to destroy the opium trade? How many chests did he destroy? What was Britain's response? → To understand industrialization which would improve Japan's military and Japan also wanted to be equal with foreign powers.
What did Panama give the U.S. in 1903? → Japan sent advisors who took away power from the Korean gov't, disbanded Korea's army, and brought Korea under direct Japanese control by annexing it.
What did the Japanese gov't copy from the U.S. and Europe? → 10 mile wide zone to build the canal
Why did the Mejia gov't send students to Europe and the U.S.? → To understand industrialization which would improve Japan's military and Japan also wanted to be equal with foreign powers.