12 Steps of Service - The Basics
Rapoport's Restaurant Group's set of procedures and guidelines to ensure the day-to-day operations flow smoothly.
Terms in this set (12)
1. Greet/Welcome The Guest Within 2 minutes
Smile and always be warm and inviting
Introduce yourself to the table
Place a beverage napkin on the table
• Offer beverages to the table; suggest specific alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
• Repeat your name three times within the first interaction
2. Return Beverages- 2-4 Minutes
Inform guests of daily features
• Be descriptive. Use words like tantalizing, succulent, scrumptious
• Ask if anyone has any questions about the menu
• Suggest an appetizer by name as well as an entrée
• Take the order
3. Place/ Stage the Order - Time Courses Accordingly
• We do not auction food off food - position numbers are mandatory and posted in the kitchen for review.
• Appetizers - 8-12 Minutes
• Salads - 8-12 Minutes
• Entrees 18 - 22 Minutes
• If these times are not being met it is your responsibility to notify a manager.
4. Mark the Table
Make sure there are condiments and utensils for certain food items (ketchup, steak knife, forks). We must always anticipate our guest's needs. Our guests shouldn't have to ask you for anything during their visit.
5. Delivery of Food
Again, we do not auction off food
Serve ladies first, then gentlemen by lowest pivot point number
Ask, "Is there anything I can bring you right now?"
6. Check Back
FOOD QUALITY - 2 Bites
7. Table Maintenance
Check beverage levels; offer another round of drinks,
Remove unused plates, glasses, B&B's, wrappers, etc.
Guest should have in front of them only what they are using.
8. Clear the Table after Entrees - 3 Minutes
Remove everything the guests are not using.
Do not stack dishes on the table .
Do not stack dishes against your body-messy and looks sloppy.
Dessert menus must be dropped.
Suggest specific desserts, coffees, after dinner drinks, etc.
Desserts - 8-10 Minutes.
Coffee - 3-5 Minutes.
Table Maintenance continues until the guest's departure.
10. Check Presentation - Stand Presenter Up
Thank the guests and ask them if they are loyalty members or if they are interested in becoming member. Let them know you will take the bill when they are ready.
11. Prompt Check Reconciliation
Guests do not like to wait long for their bill to be processed after a delicious dinner.
Process payment and rewards points promptly within 2 minutes of taking their payment.
12. Thank the guest again and invite them back soon!
Always thank the guest for coming in. Without them we wouldn't be here. Give them your name and ask them for request you when they return.