5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Light Exposure Therapy
- Psychoanalysis: Aims
- Eclectic Approach
- Psychoanalytic Methods
- Humanistic Approach: Client-Centered therapy methods
- a Combines different psychotherapy techniques to suit the client.
- b Free association
Transference: patients displace intense feeling for one person on to the therapist
- c Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)=In darker environments (winter) people might feel levels of depression
Light helps people not feel depressed.
- d Unconditional positive regard- therapist supports you no matter what
Gestalt Therapy (Empty chair dialogue)
- e Catharsis
Insight or Understanding
5 Multiple choice questions
- no evidence that one method is better than other, but some types of therapies might better for treating certain problems
behavior therapies: phobias, anxiety
person centered: raising self-esteem
- Treats family as a system. Therapy guides family members toward positive relationships and improved communication
- Xanax and Ativan
Works By: depressing the central nervous system
neurotransmitter involved: elevate the levels of gamma-amnimutyric acis (GABA) neurotransmitter.
- *in EMDR therapy, the therapist attempts to unlock and reprocess previous frozen traumatic memories by waving a finger in front of the eyes of a client
*EMDR has not held up under scientific testing
- prozac, Zoloft (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors [SSRI])
neurotransmitter involved: improve mood by increasing levels of serotonin by preventing their re-uptake
5 True/False questions
Exposure Therapy → exposes patients to things the fear and avoid. Through repeated exposures, anxiety lessens.
aka systematic desensitization
Drug Therapies → 6 to 9 people
Help more than one person at a time
Helps by showing that other people have similar problems
Brain stimulation → Psychopharmacology is the study of drug effect
with the advent of drugs, hospitalization in mental institutions has rapidly decreased
Aversive conditioning → Ex: a drug you take that makes you nauseous when paired with alcohol. Supposed to dissuade alcoholics from drinking.
Atypical antipsychotic drugs → (clozapine (corazil)) removes negative symptoms.
can cause blood disease