Create an account
the manufacture of large numbers of goods using identical parts and assembly line methods
a cone-shaped dwelling traditionally made of animal skins and poles used by Native Americans on the Plains
- made plows from the blade of a saw
- quickly had a growing business making farming tools
Battle of Little Big Horn
Custer vs. Lakota
Custer was greatly outnumbered
1/3 of soldiers died
often called "Custer's Last Stand"
Cheif Sitting Bull
- important Lakota cheif
- did not want war with the government, but refused to give up the land
- was a settler, as a child, in the middle west 'frontier'
- became President in 1860
Jean Baptiste Point du Sable
- one of the first French traders to settle in the region
- from Haiti (a French colony)
- his trading post would become the city of Chicago
how the government encouraged settlers to move West
sold land to settlers for as little as $1 per acre
what did they take?
food, grease bucket, hardware, clothing, a few special belongings, furniture, tools
what was life like for Pioneers?
- houses made of sod
- share a bed
- no heat
- made own furniture
- ate corn, beans and potatoes
- US Lieutenant Colonel
- June 1876 led 750 soldiers to the Little Bighorn River (to gather info about area)
- killed buffalo to live (almost their entire economy)
- used all parts of buffalo
- used (wild) horses
- lived in teepees
William F Cody
used rifles for killing
sometimes buffalo were killed for only the hide - wasted the meat
Buffalo used for?
-clothing & teepees with hide
- dried meat/ cooked meat
- rope with hair
- arrowhead & needles with the bones
- spoons and headress with horns
how has farm ownership changed?
- use of computers
- machine harvesting
- larger farms because of technology
- 1900s - family owned
- now - big company owned
make steel from iron
heating iron in a 'furnace' at 3000F it melts, then mixed with oxygen - forms liquid steel - as it cools it becomes solid (steel)
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together