1. service is an intangible process that cant be weighed or measured, while a good is a tangible output of a process. A service innovation, as a result, cannot be patented.
2. Service requires some degree of interaction with the customer
3. services, excluding hard tech and info tech (ATMs, answering machines and automated Internet exchanges) are inherently heterogeneous, varying from day to day and hour to hour
4. services are perishable and time dependent/cannot be stored
5. specifications of a service are defined and evaluated as a package of features, supporting facility, facilitating goods, explicit services, and implicit services